Apple ID anyone care to guess??

Delhi, IA

Purchased this fruit tree 3 years ago, but have forgotten the name. It is a very common apple to the midwest. Had it in my computer and had an accident and lost the file of new plants for that year. I hate having something without a name.

Could it be a cortland? I'm leaning in that direction. Below are two pictures of the apple. Second year it was planted it produced two apples. This year it had five.

I have looked at a lot of photos of apples and that is the only name that stands out at all.

Thumbnail by jamlover
Delhi, IA

Here is another view. They all have a diameter of 3 1/2" with a height of 2 1/2". Each weighed 8 1/2 to 9 ounces.

Thumbnail by jamlover
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Cortland has thin skin and paper white flesh. It's tart, tangy and really juicy. When sliced, it's slow to brown. It could also be a McIntosh.

Argyle, TX(Zone 7b)

Whatever they are, they are some good looking apples. Is the flesh/meat of the apple white? We were in New York and Canada the last couple of weeks and my friends daughter bought a candied apple (I think in New York) that was white on the inside and it sure looked good. I planted a few apple trees the last two years and I do not know what kinds I have either. I have not had any apples yet, partially due to the fact that I drowned most of the first years, and partially due to not enough cold days in the winter. Not an answer to your question, but I am just looking forward to getting some apples eventually. Take care, Mike

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.