pomegranate trees what to do

Cottonwood, AZ(Zone 7b)

It is getting near the time for doing something with my pomegranate tree. The fruit is ripening and one of the three trees that I have has taken over the clothesline that is near it. I don't know how to prune it or when. Can anyone help me? Also anyone know what I can do with the fruit? Last year I gave them all away. I know that you can make jelly but I think that would probably take more time and energy than I have. Anything else??

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Pomegranate juice is the main ingredient for grenadine, a syrup used to flavor drinks and some baked dishes. I separate the seed sacs from the white pulp and rinds, then whirl the sacs in the blender to extract the juice, pouring the mixture through a sieve to remove the seeds. I use it as a syrup to coat baked chicken - I call it Cleopatra's Chicken because it is said that the pomegranate was her favorite fruit. At one time I had instructions for making a sauce similiar to that of cranberries, but with the seeds!

Here is another method of making grenadine, and ways to use it with main dishes. http://snipurl.com/x0gy

Yuska

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

Oh YUM! They are $1.95 Each here. WIsh I had such a dilemma. I love making the jelly and drinking the juice as well as fresh eating but at these prices I think I won't be indulging much this season.

Here is some good info on them and how to prune along with when to prune. Hope this helps.

http://fruitsandnuts.ucdavis.edu/crops/pomegranate_factsheet.shtml

Lani

Longboat Key, FL

Eat them.

Here's the scoop.

Plunge the fruit into a deep pail of water

Do the following under water so as not to stain yourself.

Score the fruit with a sharp knife.

Break into sections and pick out the red arils.

Remove all the clumps of arils out of the water.

Now they're ready.

Then eat them. Everything except the skin is edible. Chew well.

You can also scatter the arils into salads.

As for pruning -- suit yourself. Just make sure your cutters are sharp.

Good luck

: )

Greensboro, AL

robinredthumb: time and energy. if you ate the poms you might have enough energy to do what you want to do. The juice sells here for $5 for a very small bottle. It is one of the most potent antioxidants growing.

Cottonwood, AZ(Zone 7b)

Thank everyone for your help and advice. I have picked all the fruit and will try some of the things you have told me about. Also gave some to my neighbor who will show me how he makes the juice. I am looking forward to trying the Cleopatra's Chicken. I will let you know how it was.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.