more mosquitoes this year

Elizabethton (Stoney, TN(Zone 6b)

anybody else have this problem this year? wonder if it's connected with the smaller number of purple martins ... (still typing with one hand - bear with me)

Hello Grannylois, yep they are out in force here in the UK swamp this year, and there bite is making people swell up badley too, i have been biten and so has my friends wife, we both had bad swelling with them, but that is our fenland mossie, bad little bug that is, only found here in this part of the UK, much bigger than the others.

Circleville, OH(Zone 8b)

Hi Grannylois

It is pretty bad, nothing like a repelant bath just to go out side. Mike

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

GL - what have I missed? Have you hurt yourself?? I can only think I've been asleep somewhere!!! I hope you mend quickly! Haven't noticed too many mozzies this year (mosquitoes) thank goodness. Alan we have the West Nile virus up here but not too badly as yet. There were cases in Washington DC I believe where people had died which is awful. When we lived in the Fens I was bitten by a horsefly - I would have preferred the mozzies!!

Louisa, the horse fly does give a nasty bite, we have two species of mossie her, the common european mossie and the fenland mossie, the fenland mosquito has been on the increase again, it was thought to be extint a few years back, but its not, and with so many projects restoring the the marshes and fens they are doing well again, there are more of them each year, they are bigger than the normal mossie and have a striped abdomen, i was bitten by one last weekend, my laft arm looked like on of popeyes, it has gone down now, but it is still a bit puffy, my best friends wife was bitten in the ankle by on too, her foot and leg was so swollen it looked fit to split, it is getting better now, they went on holliday(vacation), yesterday, her foot was still bad enough for the insurence companies to refuse them insurence, and when they did get some it was expensive, its odd how something so small is so deadly.

But it is only the females that bite you, no supprise there, lol.

Sorry

Greenfield, IN(Zone 5b)

Hi Granny, hope that hand gets better soon! Our mosquitos are driving me crazy! We have a lot of shade & they attack no matter what time of day! I think I am becoming a part owner of the OFF company. I don't like to use it this much on my kids but my youngest really swells up with the bites like he is really allergic to them. If he gets bit on his head or face (their favorite target) they look like a big "goose egg".

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I saw some 'donuts' to put in standing water that keep mosquito larva from hatching, and is non-toxic to fish in ponds and the birds who drink from the water. Plow and Hearth has them in their printed catalog, along with the same stuff in 'bits' for smaller quantities of water. I plan to order some, and meantime make a concerted effort to keep all standing water emptied... like rain in garden cans and pots, saucers, etc.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.