invasive roots in the cold frame

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Am I the only one to have such a problem with roots taking over the cold frame,that has such a fine mixture for propagating,new cuttings.The problem started last year,and I went to extreams , with screen wire,and boards in the bottom of my frame,in an atempt to stop the root hairs from coming in and choaking the cuttings to death,or rather , preventing roots to form,ugh!!! Any ideas?? Thank you mike

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

The only thing I can think of is to raise it up off the ground. I had to put my compost bin up on cement blocks because of the same problem.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

My friend's coldframe has bamboo roots growing in it. Within a few days the stalk has grown 6' through the poly. I continuously dig them out. Do you know where the roots are coming from or what they are?

Thanks,ardesia,and growin,I guess I didn't think it through,before getting all upset about the problem.I should have known that planting clerodendrum tricotomum,where I could smell the fragrant flowers,in august,and watching the hummers,and butterflies,preform all around the shrubs,that they are very invasive,and I even have roots under my house.At least its not bamboo lol!!However,there is still the problem,and this area is set up to place my boxes.I will definately have to put legs on them,and while I do that,I will add under box heat,in the form of a light,and would like to come up with a hydrophonic system,of sorts,and am still open to good ideas,along these lines,if you have one,or know of some idea.Worth the thaught. Thank you,Mike

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I would dig a trench along the sides of the coldframe and install a "bamboo barrier" or sidding or something to prevent unwanted roots from entering the floor. A hydrophonic system? Can't say an underwater soundsystem will be of help. LOL. A small electric waterheater with waterlines can work wonders on air and bottom heating.

growin,I never learned to spell what I mean,but it makes for a good joke thou.That is a good sugestion,and I have been thinking along those lines,and have the means to build a holding vat,get an air pump,and H2O heater,and stop the spread of the roots,because they are shallow,and that can be done with sheet metal,and there is the posibility of just using a large bucket, and bubler,maybe.One would think that the moister would capulate,and keep things putting down roots.Still much to think out.BTW,the cuttings were pitiful,in that they were wrapped in those invasive roots,and couldn't develope there own.Thanks for any help,Mike

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I used large stepping pavers on the bottom of my greenhouse, underneath was a water heating like they use for heating basement floors. You don't need a big or expensive water heater, maybe something used for an RV and a little pump to keep the water moving. You can also pickup simple electrical heating cables for a propagation table designed for propagation. I used the tables used from an ebb-and-flood greenhouse, filled with sand and the heating cables and placed the flats ontop of that. It worked very well. Sorry, didn't mean to be rude on the joke.

Thanks,growin,no problem on the joke,its more funny,when you look like me.I think I'll give the small water heater a try,and have several broken flat building granet stones,that will come in handy.Thanks soo much.Mike

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.