Corn meal gluten herbicide source in So. NJ region?

Southern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Does anyone know where I can get corn meal gluten in So. NJ or maybe Delaware?

Also, I have read in a few places that there is a difference in the quality of the corn meal gluten that can act as an herbicide from the kind that one can get for farm animal food. Is that correct?

Thanks.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Agway sells corn gluten meal, they have a website with a store locator. I bought a bag today! I'm glad you posted this, because I've been meaning to try it, and I searched the web and Dave's for info. Didn't find anything here at dave's really, just an old thread about fungus in the lawn. I might bump it up or start a new thread.
I'm curious what you read about the differences... seems to me it would be the same.. I have read that the feed kind, since it's powder and not pelletized, has a harder time getting to the soil, so I'm just gonna rake it in some. I was not the only person buying it, the loading dock was filled with bags of it ready to load, it's a hot seller this week, apparently.
The bag I got was $18 for 50 #. Agways are independently owned, so the price might be different.

I've read it's applied 20# per 1000 sq. ft., late summer and early spring. For those who haven't heard about the use of corn gluten meal on lawns, it's a natural herbicide that prevents seeds from sprouting, grass included. It will not affect existing plants, except that it's a 10-0-0 slow acting fertilizer. I'll post some links later if anyone's interested, and I would love to hear what other people have to say about it. Supposedly, after a couple years, crabgrass, dandelions, and clover are history

Southern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks. I will try to find where I read that there is a difference. I recall that the individual providing the information (credentials unknown) said that the "herbicidal quality" is patented by Iowa State or Iowa University and is different from the feed quality. There aren't any chemical additives or anything like that. They are both totally organic. Something to do with the processing maybe. The feed quality isn't supposed to be as effective as weed control?

The herbicidal quality of CGM is patented by scientists at Iowa State - but it was used before that for hog feed, among other things. You can't sell it as an herbicide without paying royalties on the patent, but you can still sell it ! They don't mean quality as in better, or different... more like the herbicidal " feature" or "aspect" of corn gluten meal was discovered by them, so they own the rights to its sale for that purpose. It's a point of law, not gardening

http://wihort.uwex.edu/turf/CornGluten.htm
http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_question.php?id=17
http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/biopesticides/ingredients/factsheets/factsheet_100137.htm

Notice the EPA doesn't really make a distinction between brands for feed or herbicide, the active ingredient is just "corn gluten meal"

Some of the liscenced brands are pelletized with phosphorus and pottassium to make a balanced fertilizer, but corn gluten is corn gluten.

Southern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thank you so much, claypa. That clears it up for me! I know there was at least one site that said not to buy the cheap agricultural corn gluten because it wouldn't act as an herbicide. There used to be an Agway in the next town. I'm going to check that out now.

Well, that's just goofy, cuz that's how they discovered the herbicidal/allelopathic qualities of corn gluten meal in the first place, that's all there was ! Maybe it's been improved somehow, but I doubt it. Maybe a fancier bag...lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.