Dictionary of Botanical Epithets

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Just tootling around the internet today, and I found this:
http://www.winternet.com/~chuckg/dictionary.html
I think it is the most extensive dictionary I've seen as it includes the grammatical usage in botanical Latin (for those of us interested >>> me).

And HERE'S the BIG KICKER: Chuck Griffith, the author, is a rock gardener! But wait, there's more:

Chuck is a friend and long time member of our Minnesota Chapter of NARGS ! He is just full of surprises. I am embarrassed not to have known about this, but he's going to get a write up in our next newsletter, that's for sure.

Rick

P.S. I'll see about him adding "labelus" to the listing. LOL

Edited to fix hyperlink

This message was edited Sep 23, 2006 8:52 AM

It is a great site (your link took me back to DG but I know the site you're talking about) however I still think our Botanary is the best around at over 16,000 entries and growing! We went live with just about 6,300 entries a few short years ago ;)

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Okay, fixed the hyperlink - thanks Baa. Your Botanary is truely a massive undertaking and DEFINITELY far more extensive, but different. For people like me with a language fetish, I still like Chuck Griffith's, too. But for the most part, I would have to agree that Botanary is the way to go.

Anyone else have a good sites to share?

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

It's fun to have some understanding of the etymology and meaning of the names, especially where it's a physical description. That's a great site!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.