Fall color pics

Eau Claire, WI

There's definitely a touch of fall in the air today (high of 52F), and I thought I'd share a few early fall color photos. As usual, Red Maple is stealing the show. One positive of losing Northern Pin Oaks to wilt is it has opened up the woods for Maples.

Thumbnail by Maackia
Eau Claire, WI

Probably the best Red Maple I've got for fall color, but hidden by those pesky conifers.

Thumbnail by Maackia
Eau Claire, WI

Here's the view across our paddock/pasture to the neighbors.

Thumbnail by Maackia
Eau Claire, WI

The native Birch (Paperbark) really felt the affect of the drought, and many are already losing leaves. Here's a pic of my Sweet Birch (B. lenta).

Thumbnail by Maackia
Eau Claire, WI

Finally, here's Three Flower Maple, which is just starting to change. I'm really anxious to see the nearby Korean Maple fall color, which hasn't started yet.

Thumbnail by Maackia
Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Our red maples here hardly ever turn red, they usually turn dull yellow (except Florida Flame). Sweetgums usually give a good show. My acer barbatum had a good orange color last year, they are very rare though. I do remember seeing a Ginkgo last year that had the most vibrant yellow I have ever seen.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Hi Bob,
Nice pics... I went to Madison this past weekend, to camp, and there was quite a bit of fall color in some of the trees, on the trip there.

My three-flowered maple has not started to change color yet, but my Korean maple is just starting to show a little color on the outer-most leaves. In the past, the three-flowered is the earliest to change and the Korean is the last to change (needs a long, warm-ish fall to color well). I'm not sure what's up with the switch this year?

I'm still waiting to see if my Crimson Spire® oak will color this year, too. This tree put on approx. 3' of growth this year, but again, this tree seems to need a long, warm-ish fall to color well.
Mike

Eau Claire, WI

E-Guy - The Red Maples are highly variable around here, ranging from brilliant red to the dull yellow you mention. In fact, I dug a small Red Maple from the woods about 15 years ago to plant up by the house. I didn't think to check the fall color the previous fall, thinking they all had nice color. Well, I was wrong. The one I picked has maybe the poorest color for a Red Maple you'll ever see in these parts. It's too nice of a tree to move for this reason alone, but I definitely screwed up.

Mike - Next time you're tooling along 94 between Mpls and Madison you should stop in and stretch your legs. I'd be happy to give you a tour of my vast plant collection, which should take about 10 minutes. You'll be back on the road in no time at all. BTW, if the Asian Maples need a long, warm summer to color-up well, then I'd think this is the year to see some brilliant color from them. Hey, please remember to post pics of your Kentucky Coffee Tree when it turns. ;)

Bob

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Bob, I'll be going to Minneapolis via Madisonagain this January to do some talks at the Green Expo. (Yeah, I know, a suthrn boy doing Minneapolis in January is nuts -- go figure!) Can I stop by your place too, even though the ground will be too frozen for me to use my shovel to steal anything? Please E-mail me via my web site.

Mike, looking forward to seeing you up there again, even though old Salicaceae will be down in Florida by then! Did you ever get that group photo done?

Our Ohio buckeyes were turning here last week. I got a nice pic of our best coloring orange one but have not yet uploaded it. Most other things are still green, or in some cases, drought-brown.

Guy S.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Hi Bob,
I'd love to stop by to see your plantings. I won't be going back to Madison until next spring, but that might be a good time to visit...

Guy,
Yes, I have the group photo saved to a CD and I also have all of the names now, but I've been sitting on my butt and I have just not gotten the CD sent to you. I am going out of town again this weekend, but I will try to get the CD sent to you early next week.
Mike

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Mike, Jason might be stopping here on his way to Florida in a couple of weeks -- if so (you could ask him) maybe he could bring it to save you postage?

Guy S.

Eau Claire, WI

A January garden stroll? We'll just have to dress appropriately so we don't freeze our acorns. Oh, and bring your snow shoes! BTW, great article you wrote in the current American Gardener on tough native trees. I think that's the first time I've ever seen Bigtooth Aspen make anyone's top-ten list. I wish there were more articles like that. Other than being a bit conservative on your zone ratings for Kentucky Coffee Tree and Ironwood (they're hardy in z4!), I thoroughly enjoyed the article.

Bob

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

I gave them that stuff last winter and had forgotten about it. They must have pulled the zones out of somewhere else, because I wouldn't have told them zone 5 for ironwood unless I was comatose the night I wrote it. I guess I'll see it whenever the pony express decides to bring our mail. Send them a letter and tell them you're growing those things up there on the tundra and anyone who wants to see them should bring their snowshoes and parkas!

As for bigtooth aspen, I always try to toss in something different to make people think. Here are some at our arboretum, and you can find more shots on our web album --

Guy S.

Thumbnail by StarhillForest
Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

Is this the official fall color thread? Here are a few from today. This is a seedling grown Viburnum rufidulum. If any of you have a hedge to plant, here's your man. It gets big, has great glossy green leaves, suckers, flowers, fruits, and has this red red fall color.

Thumbnail by Kevin_5
Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

V. p. t. 'West Olive'

Thumbnail by Kevin_5
Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

An Ash that will probably be gone soon--this is a good one in that it has fall color and still has its leaves.

Thumbnail by Kevin_5

Nice fall colors, I need a cup of hot cocoa with those pics. May I ask.. why will the ash be gone soon?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Kevin,

I really like that V. rufidulum. I think there is a cultivar of that out now called "Sentry," or something like that. Are you growing that?

I haven't quite gotten any spectacular fall color shots yet, but not for lack of trying. The best I can do is this Acer ginnala "Flame," from Dawes last week.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Eau Claire, WI

Scott, now you know how I feel in early spring when you're posting all these gorgeous shots of emerging foliage and flowers while the ground is still frozen up here. The only A. ginnala I've got left is Emerald Elf, which never seems to color up. Its touted as having great fall color, but sure isn't my experience with it. On the other hand, it is staying nice and compact.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Kevin, that is a nice clear yellow on that ash tree. Is that white ash or green ash?

Garden6, he was referring to the Emerald Ash Borer (EAB). It is a invasive insect from Asia that is killing ash trees in the midwest.

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

garden6--like escambiaguy said, EAB was found 2 miles from me. It's only a matter of time till they are all gone.

Scott--Are you thinking 'Royal Guard'? I have that one, but it doesn't have this fiery red fall color, at least not that I have seen yet. I also have about 5 other selections from Classic Viburnums. He selected them based on leaf size, glossiness, thickness, and fall color. They are small yet. There is also an upright version, and a compact version. I like V. rufidulum alot!

Escambiaguy--white ash.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Scott:

Now why would you want a doggy old rusty blackhaw selected out of NE of all places? And you know you can't trust the recommendations of our IL-mannered friend who is IL-suited to advise on all things Ohio River valley. Notice the extreme variability from top to bottom on that picture; red red my eye. I can distinctly make out crimson, scarlet, vermilion, and a clear smattering of cerise. The entire effect is marred by the obvious underlying burgundy. The reflectivity of light from the leaf surfaces is negatively affecting my vision.

Heck, I could throw a pop bottle and hit 10 better random seedling selections along I-64 at 75 mph with my eyes closed talking on the cell phone.

Translation:

To all those who've taken immediate offense, I'm making the case for more high quality local selections of Viburnum rufidulum, which is native through quite a large area of the eastern US. Kevin has illustrated a pretty good one which hasn't been widely tested yet. The idea that only that one (or a clone like 'Royal Guard', which is fine too) is worth planting is too narrow a view.

I'll get right on it.

Thanks Escambiaguy and Kevin. I have another question, with all these borers in the midwest.. then why do some of the landscapers recommend the very trees that are subject to an early demise after only a few seasons of beautiful fall color?

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

garden6---$$$$

Around here, the arrival of EAB has been anticipated, and the wholesale price of ashes of all sorts have been dropping. Once EAB was found, the prices dropped off a cliff. Unscrupulous landscapers can buy them on the cheap, plant them for a hefty price, and be well out of the warranty period before anything happens. I see entire subdivisions now that are 100% ash trees planted in the last year or two. It's all about the dollar.

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

VV--those V. rufidulum came from seedlings, all from selections in Missouri. So, at least they are a little closer to the Ohio River Valley. For some reason, V. rufidulum always had the reputation of being not-so-hardy here in Zone 5. The hundreds of field grown specimens out there in the open prairie of Nebraska should put that myth to rest, at least in the case of the this batch of seedlings. The one I got is no special selection, just one plucked out of the field. They supposedly all color this well. I hope the 'Macon Green', 'Deep Green', and 'Satin Sheen' do as well!

Thanks, unscrupulous indeed!

Eau Claire, WI

Its been roughly three weeks since this was started and we're way past peak for fall color. However, there are still a few trees/shrubs providing some interest. This is Gleditsia triaconthos 'Skyline', which IMO is the best of the various Honey Locust cultivars. It has already started to drop leaves, but still looks decent. It is very dependable for producing a nice apricot color, lasting about 10-14 days.

Thumbnail by Maackia
Eau Claire, WI

Here's the ubiquitous Ginkgo 'Autumn Gold'. Its a nice tree, but I can't get overly excited about it. Maybe my grandchildren (if I'm fortunate to have them) will get to see it reach an impressive size.

Thumbnail by Maackia
Eau Claire, WI

This is a Swamp White Oak (Quercus bicolor), and probably the biggest surprise of the season. Very cloudy, gloomy day, and the picture doesn't capture the nice crimson leaves. I've got another SWO about 60' from this one that is more typical of the species (russet/brown).

Thumbnail by Maackia
Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

Ok I know this is not a shrub/tree but if you live where fall is defined by Pitch Pine needle drop, the muddy yellow to brown transformation from White, Scarlet, Scrub, and Dwarf Chestnut Oak this photo I took of sea pickles is pretty exciting stuff. kt

Thumbnail by runktrun
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Mania,

Great shots. I don't see how you can't get excited by that Gingko. That is stunning. Granted however, it might be ever more so in 100 years or more when it reaches the size of these beauties.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent

Wow, Runk Trun! And I just grubbed out all my sea pickles from my central KY coastline. Who knew they were so colorful (and that they'd ever be posted on T&S)?

I couldn't resist, since I'm so overly knowledgeable of MA landscapes...

However, from my one visit to the Cape in fall 2002, I do remember some nice associations of Clethra alnifolia, Viburnum dentatum, and Nyssa sylvatica up around the National Seashore. Surely they will be busting out some colors this time of year.

In central KY, the white ash are going full tilt. Prunus serotina is the shining fiery red starlet -- I need to get some shots of adventitious fencelines to show what this underrated native does without even trying. Soon to come will be all the maples, with wrap up by the numerous oaks which then settle us in to what passes for winter anymore around here.

Eau Claire, WI

Bivurnum,

Yes, please do show us some photos of the Blue Grass. Hickory & Beech would be splendid. The last time I was down there I recall seeing some impressive Blue Ash specimens growing out in the pastures. I'd be curious to know how they stack up against White Ash for fall color? BTW, how was the trip out west?

Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

VV,
The ocean really acts as a blanket in the fall keeping soil and air temps. so mild that good fall color just doesn't exist. Clethra, V dentatum, and beetlebung are just beginning to show signs of change, which will be muddy yellow to brown. Even Sassafras turn yellow and I believe elsewhere they can be beautiful. Oddly enough the real stunning fall color (other than the sea pickle-hey what other plant turns from neon green to neon pink!) comes from poison ivy. kt aka Runk Trun

Runk Trun, all along I thought you were a runner, perhaps not a marathon runner, perhaps even a garden runner; hence run..KT.. run! ;0)

So, kt is invasive? Or at least a pest?

Understood; the climatological factor is right on. Beetlebung? Great memorable name!

So, yet another obstacle that Toxicodendron is able to overcome! Such a misunderstood member of plant world...just trying to get by and survive in the most inhospitable of situations, and people just want to kill it.

Here, poison ivy and Virginia creeper are vying for the "Brightest Vine" title.

Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

Ok.. so I climb the rope ladder and sneak into this "tree fort" hoping to on occasion throw in a wise a.s sarcastic comment and before I can even extend my hand in introduction you seem to have figured me out..invasive..yes, pest..definitely..but you have missed the most colorful adjectives associated with my name....ahh the best is yet to come.

Lack of leaf color makes berries all the better.
Katy

Thumbnail by runktrun
Thornton, IL

Mack ~ Very imprressive fall color on that honey-locust, thinking I may need to plant one in the parkway, how old is that one? And how much do you want for it? LOL I agree, the gingko is stunning. Do we know if it's a he or she yet?

kt - What is a sea pickle? Is that lake near your home, or is that home?

Kneevin ~ There's a white ash coloring up beautifully in my neighbor's yard, yes, the same one that's growing into the eave of my garage, cause it's too far back on the lot line! Okay, EAB is too drastic to wish on this hapless fellow, but can I make it look like EAB? Or better yet, can I get IL to remove it as a "preventative measure" ?? Don't want to rush into doing anything if EAB will cause it's demise eventually. Save my dinero.

Landscapers here are really pushing white ash and Bradford pear. And boxwood, Korean lilac, and spirea. Someone should start a thread, what NOT to plant.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Okay, we're rolling now. Things are coming into color with breathtaking haste. Today's number one stunner: Sassafras.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Coming in a close second: Acer ginnala.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.