Help with Morning Glory Propogation

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/642034/

I have no clue on how to post URL's... so please bear with me! LOL

I have a morning glory (see URL above if it works) and cannot find any seed pods at all. I checked the DG page referenced in the post above and could not find anything on any of my 5 plants that resembled the seed pods shown in the pics. The plants are huge... 5-6' tall... and flowering A LOT. The bee's love them! But, still no seed pods. So, what I'm wondering is, can I just snip off the top of a plant and try to root it? Would I root it in water or a soil mixture?

TIA,
Linda

!!!

Greensboro, AL

LAKelly: According to Plant Files this plant can be propagated by stem cuttings. Allow the cutting to callous (that is dry it a day or two) (as you would a pelargonium or christmas cactus) before trying to root it. Seed pods will form at the base of the flowers. Just leave them on the plant. Then open them when the pods are dry. The seeds are poisonous.

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks, gloria125! I have left the flowers on and no seed pods . Ok,,, I'm gonna try a cutting. Hopefully I won't stunt the growth of my current plants... but just to be sure, I'll only try cutting from one plant :-)

Thanks again.

Browns Mills, NJ(Zone 6b)

I just took some pictures for you for your reference.

Thumbnail by mygypsyrose

another

Thumbnail by mygypsyrose

dried pod and seeds

oops, here's the pic

Thumbnail by mygypsyrose

Heavenly Blue seed pods

Thumbnail by mygypsyrose

I just realized now that you're talking about the tree, sorry.

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Ipomoea carnea is very easy to root in water. I'm always trimming mine back when it gets leggy. Just take a good size cutting, at least 3-4 nodes and remove all but the top 2-4 leaves. Just put in water and change water every few days. Roots appear in no time. I plant when roots just begin to show. Keep moist when planted till established. I have several around the yard and mine bloomed year round but this is the first time they set seed. The seeds are freaky. They look like they are covered in a fur coat. When I first opened up a pod, I thought some kind of critter was hiding in there. LOL
You can rub off the "fur" before planted. I have some new ones sprouting from seed now.
Jan...

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks, gypsy... LOL, yup, the tree! I definitely don't have any seed pods like that. The closest thing I have is your last pic... there is something there after the flower falls off, but it does not look like it contains a seed.

Jan - I think I'm gonna go that route and see what happens.

Thanks!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.