New question...what do I need to do to these Rhizomes?

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I received some iris in trade....hmmm...okay here is a picture. I am not sure what to do with them before I plant them...some look like they are very large "colonies"? and wasn't sure whether to cut them apart or not...I have no idea what they are either at t his time. Some look like tall bearded, but the others do not...any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...here is a picture of the larger mass and one of the other "type" of iris as well..what do you think? Here is the picture of both kinds...

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Here is one close up of the different ones...

Thumbnail by JanetS
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Submerge them all immediately in a bucket of water. After they've had 30 mins to soak, take a good look at the rzs and see if any of them are striped (sort of like big, dull bumblebees). If any are striped, those are Louisiana irises and must be kept in water until you get them planted in a soggy part of your yard. Even if the "different" ones don't have striped rzs, they look like they are probably some type of beardless iris that requires similar treatment to Louisianas (but perhaps not as boggy growing conditions as LAs).

Those masses might be bearded irises, but I'm not sure. I have seen abandoned clumps of historic TBs being strangled by quackgrass that looked like that.

Whether or not you cut the bearded irises (if that's what they are) apart depends on the effect you want in your garden. If you plant them as clumps, you'll get clumps right away but will probably have to dig and divide them in a year or two. If you cut them apart into smaller clumps or single rzs, you won't have to divide them again so quickly, and you'll have enough to plant in several spots in your garden. It's up to you. If you do decide to cut them into smaller divisions, let the cut wounds heal for a couple of days before planting.

Laurie

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks, in the water!
JanetS

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

They don't look like iris rhizomes to me...Maybe some other kind of perennial? And those white leaves on the tops? Iris foliage usually gets brown if it is very dry...Why don't you ask what it is supposed to be?

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks, Caitlins..I did ask, but haven't had a reply...so I thought maybe someone would recognize them..the leaves are not white, but they are dried and look white in the photo..sorry.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Those on the right side of the pic are not LA iris.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

What about the ones on the left. I think the larger ones are TB Iris for sure..just no idea about the ones on the left...the last picture is a close up..

Alexandria, VA(Zone 7a)

I would just soak them and plant them in a mound (hill) and keep them watered.
I would not divide them. Just wait to see if they grow first.
Now is the best time to get them into the ground. Just mark them and next sping u should see some foliage!
Have fun and good luck!

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

Keep us posted. I'm curious now to see what comes up.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Will do! Thanks for all the help!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.