Japanese Maples

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

The climate here where I live is nearest to Rocky Mtn. It is zone 5, 5a. However not as high as CO. Here is 1450 feet. Windy all the time. Had very hot dry weather all of July, No rain since first part of June until a couple days ago when we finally had a couple hours of very welcome rain. Cleared the smoke which has been very bad since July. It is wonderful to see blue sky and see the mountains again. However this morning was a reminder that summer is probably over and fall is here, was 36 degrees.

I grow or try to grow 11 Maples. I moved one Japanese maple from my other place when I moved here 11 years ago, was doing well until this past year. Was about 30 inches and very pretty dark red foliage, very slow growing. this year died almost to the ground, now has a little new growth.

I planted two Acer japonicum Oshi Beni, 10 years ago. One is about 8 or so feet south of the house, full sunk and of course is not very happy there, too hot, too windy, too dry, but it struggles on. Looks nice in spring and as I look at it now not too bad for this time of year. Too large to move. The second one is north of the house and also in full sun, but there are other trees and shrubs nearby, and the house protects from south wind. Put out quite a bit of nice new growth this year.

So following are three photos of the Oshi Beni maples.

Donna

Thumbnail by rutholive
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Here is a photo of new growth on Oshi Beni

Thumbnail by rutholive
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

And here is a picture of Oshi Beni on south side of house

Thumbnail by rutholive
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

They are beautiful Donna. I dont have the patience or wallet for them LOL. Im glad I can see them on here.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

donna I went to Wells Medina Nursery and bought a JM today and forgot the name. I tell you tomorrow when I look at the lable. I have 7 JMs growing in my garden. I lost the first two I planted but now with soil ammendment they are thriving.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Here is a picture of my Acer palmatum , Goshiki shidare, It is 3 feet x 4 feet wide, planted 1997, pretty much full sun. not much color right now.

Donna

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Just realized I forgot to post the photo

Thumbnail by rutholive
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I got an Acer Shirasawanum 'Palmatifolium' good to -20 F.

Thumbnail by Soferdig

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.