Zephyranthes atamasco seeds or bulbs

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Am definitely looking for them! Will pay postage for bulbs or seeds of this native of yours. In case you are unfamiliar with the plant, here's a link:
http://www.duc.auburn.edu/~deancar/commnotes.htm

Perhap's you have some hanging out in your ditch? lol

Thanks Ya'll!
Debbie

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Oh, I wish I had some growing in my area. Good Luck finding some, Debbie.

Deborah

Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

Are these the same as the pink rain lilies? I have a couple in my beds. but not enough yet to divide.

No they are not the same as the pink Zephs. There are several species of pinks:
Zephyranthes grandiflora, Zephyranthes lindleyana, Zephyranthes macrosiphon, and Zephyranthes species labuffarosea hybrids to name just a few. And then there are many species of yellows and whites also.

This one has a rather distinct look from the others and blooms rather early in the spring. It's also an American native, which is why I'm quite interested in it. Its not endangered, threatened, or rare so if you have to dig it out of a wild setting you can do so guilt free. My research indicates that its a "flat land" species--lol--not usually found in the mountainous areas if that narrow it down any.
Debbie

bump

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I may be able to send you some seeds, they won't bloom for 3-4 years but let me know.

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

This place is a gold mine for finding hard to find natives! One of my favorite places to shop.

http://www.nearlynativenursery.com/PlantsDetail.cfm?ID=615

I might have to get a couple myself. :)

chris

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Thank you Debbie,for introducing me to a plant that I have neither heard of, or seen. I look for every living thing, as I go, but Never, in my life have I seen this, or I would have some. Mike

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

I just saw this thread and I wonder if any of you have found plants/bulbs. I planted some bulbs last Fall that I purchased from a garden center in Sylva, NC. Someone at W. Carolina U. is promoting their use. I've also seen a plant recently in a catalogue online (maybe Niche Gardens). I got 10 bulbs for $10 and planted them at our cabin in NC. I'll see next week if they've come up.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

We have some version of it naturalized on the back of our pond road and above the spillway. It is also thinly scattered along the edge of a footpath leading away from the pond and into the woods. It grows with wild grasses and goldenstar. Ours is very thready-leaved; not more than eight inches high.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the ID help. I'm pretty sure I have at least a couple coming up. Hard to distinguish last week among the other grass like foliages. I forgot to check in another spot. I'll look again in a week or so.

Mine bloom in early April along the left side of the path in the first photo. That slopes down to the pond. They don't actually grow close to the pond but rather grow in relatively dry, rocky and poor soil areas near the pond. Maybe that's why mine are shorter and more thin leaved. The level below the path leads to the back of the pond and they grow there too. That is more like what is described as an ideal situation in situ.

I've been so busy this Spring that I've not had time to hike the property. It's mostly wooded. There's a skinny creek running through the entire length. Makes for some beautiful native wildflowers, including several species of terrestrial orchids. The only cultivated area is the kitchen garden immediately surrounding the house. I'm Mother Nature's conservator for the other acres. I used to hike and document the flora every week or so. Getting old and lazy I guess. :)

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

I hope you get a chance to hike around soon to enjoy all that beauty.

Me too. Have I asked you before what general part of Decatur you live in? We lived in our first home on Mimosa Drive for many years. That's where I learned to grow veggies among flowers in the front yard. No internet then but Ortho and Time Life books in hand. There are many plants I could grow well there that don't thrive for me here in Sandy Springs. The microclimate is that much different.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

We're off Valley Brook between E Ponce de Leon and Lawrenceville Hwy. I've been seriously gardening for only 7 or 8 years but I've put in so many things overt that time that things are just starting to look somewhat mature. Gardening is a learning experience for me and I tend to plant all the things I want to see. I've planted a lot of things of which I'd had no previous knowledge. We also bought, 9 years ago a lot, about 80' x 90', which is connected to our place but mostly behind a neighbor's. It was part of an old farm, the part where they dumped old refrigerators and motors, etc, and, at the time of purchase, covered with privet and kudzu. I cleared it and it is now my haven. Thanks for asking.

I thought I sent this as a DM. Removing my info.

This message was edited Jun 10, 2013 12:40 PM

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the invitation. I won't be available for this year's RU but I like the idea of getting together with other GA gardeners and meeting some of the folks whose messages I see here. I will keep looking for future RU's.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.