Euphorbia polychroma

(Zone 6a)

Has anyone every saved seed from this plant? I looked and it appears to have no seed pods! I checked this one and E. dulcus and neither of them appera to have seeds....Could they be sterile???

Steve

Tuckahoe, NY

Hi,
Don't know how readily these particular euphorbia species form seeds in gardens, but euphorbia seed pods explode upon reaching maturity, so its easy to miss the seeds. The pods of all euphorbias are three sided globular structures, which contain up to 3 round seeds. When they ripen, the seeds are forcibly expelled. If pods develop, it is best to use something that will trap the seed, seriously I have heard of succulent growers using old nylon stockings to trap the seed on their plants. Some say a drop of glue at the end of the pod will also keep it from opening when ripe.
Hope this helps,
Ernie

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, they explode all right! I collect my seed when the pod is just starting to turn brownish. I them lay them out on a plate inside, with a paper towel over them. If you don't put the paper towel over them, they'll be all over the place. I can be in the next room and hear a pod pop open. It's quite funny to watch one do that!

(Zone 6a)

Thanks for your replies, congminglaoshi and kbaumle. What time of year can I find to pods on the plants? I checked in the fall and there was nothing.

Thanks,
Steve

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I think I started noticing them in September. And by October and November, they were exploding.

(Zone 6a)

ok, thanks. Now I just have to wait for november. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.