"Scarlet" and "Alba" Coral vine..

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Mixed with wild morning glorys..yummy!!

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

My Gardening birdies planted these wild morning glorys

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Don't you just love the two different coral vines mixed together??

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Coral Vines take over the planet down here....love/hate relationship with them here. But a solid bloom for 30' of fence.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Jeanne where did you get the white? I have 2 different pink colors but have not seen the white.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Marie..I bought the White from a local nursery...was just a fluke that I found it in this huge 3 gallon pot...here it is this morning..love this stuff

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Oh, oh, oh, don't forget you're going to send me seeds! :-)

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Judy!!..Hey girl!!..Thanks for reminding me!!...won't be long and they will have seeds..You want both kinds?...The "Scarlet" is supposedly a rare one that I got from this Texas lady who sells plants on Ebay..I emailed her and got it on the side..tee hee..I don't do paypal stuff..and she sent me the teeniest plant as that is all she had left...I nurtured that baby all winter and was shocked that it survived...Hugzzzzz...Jeanne

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Oooh yes, I would like.

The scarlet is not all that rare...Ecolage and others have it.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Jeanne can I get some seeds of the white too. I would love to have it intertwined with my dark pink.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

DMJ..I looked everywhere for it last year...only found it on ebay...Marie send me a DMail with your address...thanks yall...Jeanne

It's a plant I have a love/hate relationship with--It's hard for me to even get the plant all in one picture. That clero ugandense in the front is easily 10' wide and 9' high. I'd say that's a 30' section of fence in the far back it has completely covered.

Thumbnail by dmj1218
(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Deb-
Great photo! And, your clero is huge!!

Jeanne-
I'd love to swap for your white antignon seeds. I used to have one, but lost it. I'd love another try. I've got lots of vine seeds, and other stuff that will do well for you, (since I am in Texas, too). Ü email me if interested.
-Taylor

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I have a question. I am not familiar with this vine at all. I have trellis on my front porch area both sides. Currently it is growing Autumn Clematis which is coming down this year. The clematis is terrible about reseeding everywhere in my garden and all around the yard in other garden areas as well. Does this vine reseed and become invasive, is it an annual or perennial. I would like to replace the clematis with something that won't go crazy and be in everything else by the end of the year...of course I would also like something that has a long bloom season since it is on the front of the house. Thanks for your input. Here is a picture of the clematis blooming...it does smell wonderful when in bloom...but not worth the work for me.
JanetS

Thumbnail by JanetS

Janet-
That does look beautiful...but can certainly understand. I just took out a five year old sky vine because I couldn't keep up with it, either.

How about ipomoea accuminata? In most cases it is sterile, perennial, and does not produce seed.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Taylor...Dmail me hon with your address and I will gladly send you some seeds!!
Janet..this is year 2 for me with my "Alba Vine" and Year 1 for "Scarlet" they totally die back to the ground each winter in my Texas Zone 8B...I haven't seen it freely reseed on it's own but being I have only had it two seasons..don't go by that..It has wonderful heart-shaped leaves that are of interest until the blooms come..It's a very fast growing vine..but Mine was the last thing to emerge this spring..My Jasmine covers well too but it only blooms in spring....Jeanne

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Jeanne, those are nice. Nice climbers. I remember last year or year before when you posted a picture of the empty beds and you were just getting started good. You have really done TX proud.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Lovely! They are so pretty cascading over your fence. I think your local birdies did a fine job of "planting" those wild M.G. seeds. They just knew the perfect garden to plant them in too!

Janet--it has never reseeded for me; so its not invasive....just vigorous (with a capital V) here. lol

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I see by the plant files that the coral vine must be a warm weather perennial. I live in zone 7. If it dies down to the ground and I mulch it heavily, will it grow enough to bloom the following year?

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Ahh..shucks Jim..thanks...Woodspirit...I think that Coral Vine would do well there...here is a link for you to check out..
http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week184.shtml
"Antigonon leptopus, or Coral Vine, is a native of Mexico. It is a fast growing, evergreen vine, climbing with tendrils that will reach 40 feet (13 meters). Leaves are dark green heart-shaped to arrowhead-shaped to 5 inches (12 cm) long. It produces edible tubers. The plants are hardy in USDA zones 8-12. If grown in zone 7 there will be top die back and the roots must be heavily mulched."
I don't know how to do a quote on here so the upper paragraph with the " " is a quote..LOL

Thanks Shirl!!...Just so yall know..this is what Jim was talking about..I did Lasagna Beds all in the back in the fall of '2004

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

And they have come a long long way since then.....Jeanne

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

jeanne,
I would love to have seeds from both white and pink please.
cg

Coral vine freezes to the ground every single year for the last 15, even for me, this far south. But it does come back every spring; however, it is one of the last plants to emerge from dormancy in late spring.

Jeanne-
That is sweet of you to share. Thank you. I will send you my address. I'd be more than happy to swap.

Interested in any centrosema virginiana seeds? snail vine? clematis pitcheri? Penstemon tenuis? Pincushion flower?

Man, that garden looks great. The second picture shows no sign of that white lattice...not even a peep!! Where is Willis? Are you zone 9, or 10?

Woodspirit- I think they'd be possible in 7, but really need protection. I'm in 8a and they die back each winter. Like Deb said, they are about the last vine I have to wake up. The really like the heat.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

CG..I don't mind sending you seeds hon..but they won't overwinter in your zone..maybe you can keep them growing in a pot...just sunk in the soil and pull up for winter?...Dmail me your address and I will gladly share
Seedpicker..I live on Lake Conroe, which is just North of Houston...20 minutes with the way I drive and I can be in Houston city limits..LOL...I know Where Plano is..I grew up in Odessa/Midland and graduated from Permian High School..Mojo...Go Panthers!!...Friday night lights!!...Let me google those you mentioned and see...I had a snail vine I ordered from J&P that I planted 3 years ago..it came back two years in a row and never saw it again!!...Jeanne

Jeanne-
just to be clear...the snail vine I'm referring to is the phaseolus caracalla, not the vigna caracalla. They are frequently confused. I have the corkscrew, too, but don't have any seeds of it, only the snail vine.
-T

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Hi Jeanne,

I love the coral vines. They seem to be fairly rare around here. There are a few homes that I pass on roads that have them yearly. I don't know why, but I always make a point of looking for them each year and get a waybigo smile when I see them.

I tried growing one last year. It did fairly well, mixed with my passion vine and hyacinth bean, but teh coral vine was one thing I lost when hurricane Rita blew through here and buckles my fence. It just never came back this year. I love the delicate pink blossoms. I hadn't seen it in white until now. Both are beautiful!

I'd love to get some seeds of both the pink and the white corals, if you have any left. You're welcome to take a tour of my journal to see if there's anything you'd like to trade for.

Janet

TAYLOR, TX(Zone 8a)

O Jeanne,

Would love to get some of your seeds if you have enough to go around. Those are beautiful!!!!
Let me know if you have enough and I'll send my dmail. Also would be happy to pay the postage.

Louanne

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Janet and Louanne..could you send me a Dmail with your address and what you have ...link to your Journal Janet?? I have relatives in Bridge City...and I know what you mean about the devastation from Hurricane Rita!!..So sorry to hear that..no one worries about Postage...Jeanne

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.