Aster time is here again.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

You just gotta love asters, they bide their time until they can steal the show.

this is Harrington's Pink - a 7' monster

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

this is Alert, a newer one. I would be interested to see if anyone else's is red like it is supposed to be. This is a short one.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

7' tall??? You gotta be kidding! I never knew they could get that big. They're both so lovely Al.
I only started one type from seed for this year to see if I'd like them in the garden and sure enough, I do!

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

September Ruby, which I started from seed and also self sows a bit, is gorgeous with New England (blue-violet) in front of it, and the silvery plumes of flame grass behind it, and purple zinnia still in bloom and goldstrum for a cheery accent...Next year I will make a special fall bed with all of these together...
I have a dark foliaged aster from Heronswood - wonder if it would grow from seed like Sept Ruby. I will send seed to one lucky person if they want to give it a try.
Sharon

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

This is my favorite 'Alma Potshcke'.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Alma is really pretty, Al.

I really need to do some rearranging. I have Wood's Pink & Wood's Purple (3 of each). the pink was advertised (yeah, I know, don't believe everything you read) as 8-12" and the purple as 12-14" so I planted the pink in front. not only is the pink much larger, it blooms later, so the purple is swallowed up altogether.

Al, would this be something I would move in the spring?

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

aaaaghhh! I just posted a pic over on Northeast forum and it was fine. I'll come back later. Dave must be fixin' somethin'

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Sharon, I would love to try these please :o)
Connie

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I'll send you some, Connie, after they bloom. D-mail me with your address, ok? They haven't bloomed yet this year, they are budding though...

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

I am very jealous of these beautiful asters. The rabbits eat every aster I have ever planted! Hence, I give up! enjoyed your pictures. Lesley

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Les

I forgot I do have an annual china aster 'Fireworks'

Thumbnail by bigcityal
west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yankee man--beautiful asters, which is what I always expect from you no matter the flower, but you're gonna have to wait a month or a month and and a half to see mine. I got a whole bed of them. ;)
DJ of the south

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Here's my Aster dumosus 'Little Pink Beauty'

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

How do you propagate Asters?

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Great photos! My Professors just started bloming and again, putting on a lovely show. I Have to plant more Asters!

Al,
Annual Aster 'Fireworks'? That's gorgeous. All on one plant?

Todd,
That is a little pink beauty,,,just lovely.

Kelly

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Kelly - it was a mix, so they are on seperate plants. If you wanted a specific color I could save you one.

Dancy - I have only divided them, you can cut them up pretty small for new plants that way.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Al,

Heck no, I want all the colors,,,LOL Didn't think it would be on one plant. I'll be watching for those seeds next year when I get to the store.

I did get a very nice surprise. Last summer someone sent me a Candy Lily in a trade. Threw it in and didn't think much of it. This year it put out 3 different colored tiny lilies. Yellow, orange and a reddish color.

Here's the Orange

Thumbnail by GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Here's the Yellow,,,not a very clear pic.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

And the red. Never did think to take a pic of the whole plant,,,,another duh moment,,lol

Dancy--they root very easy....want some native ones at College Station RU? Gotta ton here.

Gardengeek--can I shamelessly beg/trade something for the yellow and pink candy lillies?

Al--no comment on my post? I must be loosing my touch. ;)
Debbie

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

dmj,

I only have the one so far. If I get some more out of it next year, definitely we can work something out. Maybe I'll try some of the seeds to see if I get anything

Kelly

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Sorry DJ Debbie,
I was going to say something about checking in betweens games on Thanksgiving to see if your asters had bloomed yet.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

here's NY aster Wood's Purple. wish it would bloom at the same time as Wood's Pink. the pink is just getting started. covered with buds, though

gram ~a girl~

Thumbnail by grampapa

Oh Al they should really bloom about the first of November--right about when you are loading up on those necessary "beverages" for the Thanksgiving games. =)

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

That one is nice Ms. A Girl, for me the pink ones open before the purples.

DebB, You'll have to get me that variety then - I don't have much that blooms that late here, maybe if I load up with the adult beverages sooner - your flowers will open sooner?

so anyway - in this pot I stuck 2 of the 'Alert's', I don't think either one is.

Thumbnail by bigcityal

The one on the right in the pot looks like mine--maybe a bit darker purple than mine.

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Al! I'll try and divide some of my asters and see how they do.

Deb I don't know yet if I'll make the CS RU. sigh My Dad has been really sick and I've had to take him to the doctor a lot. I'll have to wait and see.

Lin

Dancey they are very easy from cuttings too. At least oblongifolium is.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Beautiful pics, bigcityal! Luv the 'Alma Potshcke'!!

GardenGeek_Wi, your candy lilies are gorgeous to. Luv the deep red one. Don't forget to save seeds.
:) Donna

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Donna,

Will definitely be doing that,,,,thanks

Here's my new favourite, Monch, blooming with some sedums.

Thumbnail by echoes
somewhere, PA

These were here when I moved in... not sure what type but a very brilliant pink!

Thumbnail by Tammy
Central, WI(Zone 4a)

oooo, both are beauties

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

'Wonder of Staffa' or Aster Frikarth
Single blooms are appx. 2" across.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

New England Aster or Aster novae-angliae
A native wildflower around here.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Central, WI(Zone 4a)

jm,
Gorgeous, they glow in those pics.

Jmorth--that Aster novae-angliae is right nice lookin'. Love native plants here.

Al--I'm your biggest fan, I'll watch where I put my hands.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Very nice pics here.

We do get the native asters here - blooming along with the boltonia right now.

Debbie - you don't own a hatchet do you?

here is a fuller shot of 'Alert'

Thumbnail by bigcityal

Nice aster Al--no hatchets but I got a good sharp pruning saw.

Winchester, VA(Zone 6a)

Well, I do believe I may need asters. What are their growing habits during the seasons? And, i think I already know the dormant season growth habit! lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.