Step 1 Starting From Seed

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Thought I'd start a basic visual program to encourage some of you to grow your own heirlooms as they are hard to comeby in most nurseries and then to only a limited few. When raising from seed you can grow any species your heart and taste buds desire but many are hesitant to do so. It does require some equipment whether it be homemade or store bought. Once you raise your own from seed you will never buy plants from the nurseries again. You will need a 72 cell flat or 36 cell seed starter flat plus water tight tray to hold the flat. A bag of Jiffy or a good comparable seed starter. They usually come in a package just the right size for a 72 cell pak plus some kind of a flourescent lighting system. Flourescents are best as they won't burn the seedlings with excess heat. Plastic name tags work best for me and are very inexpensive plus a permanent marker pen that will not fade from the suns rays. Very important as you won't be able to tell the difference from your plants if the ink fades as did mine in my early years when I had to learn the hard way.

OK lets start by filling the seed tray with the starter mix. Wet it down once and refill. Wet it down again and top off if necessary and re-wet making certain all is wet and there are no dry spots. Let stand for an hour or so and then drain off excess water and let it stand overnite to settle and eliminate any air pockets. Next day plant two seeds per cell per row or even one seed per row depending on how many varieties you want. Be sure to plant not deeper than a quarter of an inch. Just lightly covering the seed. I always go for 24 varieties but you can do 12 or so but not all will grow so you have to allow extra and even then you may lose some with the first transplant which I will show when we get to that point. From here on water from the bottom not the top by very gently lifting the cell tray up and pouring from underneath. This is usually done on the fourth or fifth day after planting. Don't be surprised if the tray takes a half gallon of water. Pour it in slowly and not all at once. When you see standing water in the bottom of the tray --stop and let it settle.

Thumbnail by Tplant
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Awesome posting Tplant. Thanks so much. I started just a couple from seed this fall and then had to buy some storebought hybrids when I received extra EB's for my birthday just a couple of weeks ago. I did not want to just let those sit around....I had to get something in there!!! However, I do want to grow heirlooms and the couple that I started for this fall were pretty leggy. They seem to have really taken off once planted, but I would like to start them under lights for the spring and have all of the EB's full with heirlooms. Your posting will surely help me!

This is a 72 cell seed starting tray with a flourescent lighting system. The seeds are five days old and starting to sprout. At this time I turn on the light and keep it about two to three inches above the sprouts. I raised the light hoping you can see some of the sprouts. The light is on a timer and it stays on for fourteen hours per day. I had to add a half gallon of water as the soil was drying . You can tell when to add water as the soil goes from a deep brown to a light brown and the soil is dry to your touch. Never let it get to dry and remember never to water from the top. Some use a mist but I don't. I like to keep my plants dry but the roots moist. Don't be concerned about fertilizer at this time as the seeds have a built in supply. Keep the lights down to two to three inches to avoid leginess. By doing so will give you little trees and very healthy seedlings. I will show more as they grow!

Thumbnail by Tplant

Glad to hear it ms -merae! I had a request to show how I plant from seed so glad to show you. It really is easy and very rewarding when you pick your tomatos and realize that you did all this from a tiny seed. Nothing outdoes the taste of a homegrown heirloom especially a Sudduth Brandywine ripened on the vine.

Just noticed that some of the tops of my seedlings have been chewed off? This means a cut worm. This soil is supposed to be sterile? I normally use Jiffy Seed Starting Mix but they were all out so I bought Miracle Gro Seed Starter. Obviously not sterile? I'll shop around today for Jiffy. Who would expect non-sterile mix from a name like Miracle-Gro? Lesson to be learned. Always buy Jiffy and always have a spare on hand. I'm glad it is only one week that I lost and not a month. I'll start over today.

So you see what I mean by "always learning?" I'm never to old to learn something new.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Are heirloom seeds special? Remember, I'm a newbie...

P.S. Where do you get one of the seed starter trays? and the flourescent light system? Did you hook up the light yourself? Inside? In your garage?

P.S. You can sterilize potting soil mix by putting it into a LARGE bowl in the microwave for 2-3 minutes at a time. WATCH IT CAREFULLY because soil WILL BURN if it gets hot enough....

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Hey TP, good thread. It looks like you finally got started. I have some extra Jiffy Mix if you need some. Starting tomatos from seed is great. Our methods differ a little but the little plants come out lookin' good either way.

I planted my seeds about 3 weeks ago and I'm now in the middle of transplanting my little seedlings, both maters and peppers. I've transplanted anout 130 seedlings over the past two days - 40 vars of maters and 9 vars of peppers. Still have another 50 or so to do today. (We're gonna need to start a fall/winter thread for our upcoming season.)

It has started!

Your ol' buddy - Flip

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Gymgirl - heirlooms are better than the stuff you can buy at the nurseries. Heirlooms taste much better than hybrids. I kinda hesitated in answering your question, because I am a newbie myself and do not know all the facts, but maybe someone else will contribute to what I have to say. From my understanding, heirlooms have not been crossed and have been past down from seed savers for several, several generations -- even dating back to the 1800's. Hybrids have usually been bred to withstand certain conditions and are usually just a red tomato. Heirlooms are available as green, black and other colors. There are even different shapes of heirlooms available - they might look like a lemon or a stawberry for example. That is about all I know. I hope I haven't given you any wrong information...just sharing with you some of what I think I have learned. lol.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Tplant - that is terrible that you have cut worms getting your seedlings. I am glad you caught it so soon and can start over. Best wishes.

Just got back from Home Depot. They did not have Jiffy mix but they did have the Jiffy starter pak with the plugs for $6.75 for tray, 72 plugs and dome cover so I bought it. I worked with plugs once but tore the netting open upon transplant to allow the roots to spread.

Flip --- I forgot all about you and your ten bags of Jiffy mix! No wonder no outlet has any! You bought them all......LOL

Gymgirl ---- Once you taste an heirloom, with few exceptions, you'll never go back to hybrids. Try it you will enjoy it. As for starter trays, if you have a Home Depot or Lowes go there. I just bought mine at HD. My flourescent light was purchased from Park Seeds or you can make your own with a flourescent fixture propped up on books or just about anything.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Are you sure they were chewed off and not damped off??? I've never had problems with the MG seed starter myself.

I always wet my starter mix in a tub first, then I don't have to play with it once I get going. I'd never be able to start one day then hold off...just too derned impatient, I guess!

I got a deal on the 72 cell pak last year and it worked fine. I still like my little plugs best of all, but whatever it takes - FULL SPEED AHEAD!!! (I too remove the netting when I pot up.)

People, I do not have a clue as to what you all are saying!!! Plugs? Netting? cellpak? HELP ME, PLEASE (use the voice Vincent Price used in "The Fly" as he was being eaten...)

Greeley, CO(Zone 5a)

Gymgirl: You might want to check out a company like Park Seed Co. on the internet. This way you can see pictures of what they are talking about. There are many companies besides Park Seed that you can check out, google garden supplies, or garden seeds. and you should find some help.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Or take 2 apsirin and call the doctor in the morning if you are still OSeedD!

gymgirl ---- I took a picture for you. What you see is a complete seed flat that include hydrated seed plugs. The package contains the same plugs only dehydrated. The cell tray holds 72 cells but can be purchased in 36 cell size. This holds the plugs in their own individual compartments and makes it very easy for seed starting. Underneath the cell or plug tray is another waterproof tray to hold the excess water. I refill the water tray when needed and never water from the top but gently pour from the side. By the way the set-up comes with a plastic dome cover which I use as an underliner for the pak as it is waterproof and won't leak. You won't need a cover for tomatos.
You can purchase a complete kit at Home Depot. When you do just add a gallon of water, let stand for a couple of hours, pour off the excess water and let the plugs stand overnite. The next day plant your seed remembering to label each row. Don't forget to pick up a package of plastic white labels for ID of your plants. If you have any questions just ask? We would be happy to help.

Thumbnail by Tplant
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Great thread, Tplant!

It's easy to sterilize potting soil in the microwave, but it must have plenty of water (a cup per quart of dry mix is not too much), or it will indeed catch on fire. I use a big tupperware bowl (holds nearly 2 gallons, I think) and cover it loosely with the lid, microwave on high for 15 minutes (you want to see steam), then cover tightly and let the soil continue to steam. As a bonus, the steam really "opens up" the peat moss in the mix to hydrate it well -- sometimes those potting mixes can be hard to wet initially.

I sterilize potting mix for seed starting and for my African violets -- everything else just takes its chances with potting mix out of the bag!

Never had a problem with Jiffy Mix.

Gymgirl ---- Here is the tray seeded and ready to go. I will dispose of my other tray as the cut worm is still in it somewhere. I divided my tray in half leaving three plugs per species and planting two seeds per plug to make certain of germination. This gives me twenty-four varities. I used my six inch markers purchased from Parks Seed and cut them down to the size I want so when the seeds germinate I can bring the flourescent light all the way down to meet the seedling and not worry about the markers being bent or fall out of place.
PS --- I have a very understanding DIL as she let me use the dining room table for my seed planting. LOL

Thumbnail by Tplant
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

That's a good idea about cutting the markers - duh! I am always doing battle with them and the lights when it's time for watering. LOL! Silly me.

No one is perfect Sequee? We live and learn. I did not realize that I used up all my Tumbler seeds on the former tray. I love the Tumblers. They are a real conversation starter and I hang them from baskets and boxes from the side of my shed and on my fence area. I'll just have to order two paks from Tomato Growers Supply today and I'll have them by Wednesdeay but no later than Thursday. They ship real quick. I do have an extra light stand and they are early producers usually 58 days after transplant.

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

TP - here's the seedlings on the inside, under the lights - appx 90

Thumbnail by aries44
Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

And here's the ones outside - appx 100 - no room inside.

Thumbnail by aries44
Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

oops - wrong picture - here you go

Thumbnail by aries44
Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Pssst...

You can get literally quite a few hundred white markers for only $3.98 (or so) at the discount stores (Walmart, Target, etc). They come in the form of venetian blinds and usually they are the same price whether you get the shorter ones of 3-4 ft in length or the longet ones that are 5 ft in length. They're very easy to cut with scissors to any length you prefer and really last a long time. (I recommend the skinnier blinds, not the wide ones, for something like what Tplant is doing; the wider ones for inserting into pots, etc.)

Miser Shoe! ;>)

(Tplant, hope you have better luck with this next batch!)

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

aries, you've got quite a nice garden started!!

Yay! Have fun!

Shoe.

I know I will Shoe as the plugs were fresh from the case. They opened the case of "starter trays" right in front of me so I'm sure there will be no contamination.

Flip ---- I still say you should open a farm stand. I know you bring a lot of tomatos to work and to share with your people but I understand this year they are electrifying the fence at tomato time? LOL

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Thanks, Shoe. Great idea on the blinds. I just spent $3.50 on 30 tags at HD.
Flip

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Flip - did you start your seeds in the pots you have shown or have you already transplanted once?

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Hi Merae - I started my seeds in the permanest trays touted by our own Carolyn. This is the first transplant. Some will be transplanted a second time; some won't. Depends on the size of the current pot and how I feel the day it's time to do it. :-)
Flip

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Two tips:
I have never found an ink that does not fade in the sun, so now I just write on my plastic markers with a soft pencil. It seems to last a whole year, and I can erase it easily to use the markers next year. One side of the plastic markers is usually matte and is easier to write on than the glossy side.

I usually leave one of the cells in the tray open, so I can look in and see the water level. When it is all gone, I water the next day. I am thinking of getting extra deep cells to transplant the tomatoes into next year to see if that will encourage a bigger root system.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I got a transition planter set last year from Gardener's Supply (I think). It's much the same as the cell starter set, but it has 3" pots. The pots sit in a watertight base for bottom feeding and I got the best seedlings from it than any I've had with any other method I've tried. And I'm so OCD at that time of year that I end with soooo many infant seedlings that I have tried everything!

Hi DonShirer --- My tags last forever. Sometimes I have to throw them away after a few years as the plastic dries up. The permanent marker that I use was purchased from Parks Seed. It will not fade. I'll use nail polish to re-use the tabs as it cleans them right off.
My seeds should sprout by Tuesday or Wednesday. Of course I planted my favorite and that is Sudduth Brandywine along with the sweetest plum tomato that I have ever tasted and that one is Stupice. Normally I don't grow hybrids but Delicious are truly delicious so they have a place with my heirlooms. I still have a few EBs to clean out and reset but the weather, with the exception of this evening has been to hot and after suffering from heatstroke this week I choose to pick my days.

Aries44,
So the plants in the styrofoam outside were transplanted from the starter trays? And how do you water the cups from the bottom? Or do you water from the top once the plants get big enough? And after the cup, do they now go into an EB at this size?

Mantua, UT(Zone 4b)

Tplant - Gosh, I wish Stupice tasted like that here!!! It is tasteless at my house. I did plant Delicious in a large pot as an experiment and it had horrible BER (blossom end rot). I only got to taste the top part of one of them. It is on my list to plant next year--in a different place, of course.

And, didn't I hear Carolyn say that Delicious is not a hybrid? I might not be remembering correctly.

Linda ---- Yes, you are correct. I keep getting Glory confused with Delicious. Glory is the hybrid and also delicious in my garden. It is amazing how the same tomato grown elsewhere outside of my area will have a different quality. The Stupice in my garden is truly a gem with sweet, juicy flavor that rarely makes it into the house.

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Gymgirl - I poke holes in the bottom of the cups for drainage and water from the top, careful to keep the foilage from getting wet.
This season I have 3 different sizes of pots that I did the first transplants into - 3.5" plastic pots, 2" clay pots and the cups (first time I've ever used cups - I ran out of pots as I gave too many away). The seedlings in the 3.5" pots will not be transplanted again. The other two types will be transplanted into 3.5" pots in about 3 weeks. In any case, when the seedlings get to about 6"-8" they will be planted in the gardens.
I have room in my yard for my plants to go in the ground and I prefer this method of growing things. I have only one eb, courtesy of my buddy tplant and I'll use it because he gave it to me and they do work well but....I like the dirt!
Have a nice day and good luck with your maters!
Flip

My seedlings started to sprout two days ago and are now under the gro-lights. Now is the time to watch them and make certain they do not get to dry or to wet. A very tricky time as they are at their most delicate time of growth. To much or to little water will rot or dry them out. I use my fingertip as a tester. If the dirt sticks to my finger when I touch it, it means the soil is moist and does not need water. If it does not stick than I water till moist but from the bottom of the tray and never wet the plant. At this time water will not be needed again for three or four more days but more frequent when I place a small fan on them. I'll explain more when that time comes in about ten days.

Oxford, United Kingdom

I'm jealous of everybody who has a fall planting season! Not really a contribution to the discussion, just thought I'd share (!).

Our tomato season just ended for 2006; we had to pick all of our tomatoes and bin the plants yesterday - blight has hit our allotment hard and even though I think we could have coaxed another few ripening days out of them I don't think that the potato growers would be very happy if we kept the diseased plants hanging around the site! So bye bye tomato plants.

Putting the list together for next year's season . . . . good luck to everybody starting on their fall season!

Cari

Fairfield, CT

T-plant

Are you growing these fall plants in a greenhouse or indoors? Have you had previous luck growing tomato plants in fall/ winter and do they yield fruit? I am starting to isolate seeds from my meager crop this past summer and also buying tomatoes from the farmers market that I may want to grow next summer. The content of this thread has been quite informative- thanks-

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Tplant is a pro...if you'd like you can search for some of his pictures for his plants from last fall. He uses pots and EB's (or is it all EB's now?) and since he lives in FL he has great weather...You ask do they yield fruit? *G* You just wait till post pictures of a Bradywine Sudduth and you'll be drooling they look so good.

What type varieties are you wanting to grow? Lots of us always swap seeds or have extra so if you can't find something I'm sure someone would be willing to help out with a few seeds.

Saint

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.