About Lion's Ear seeds

Polkton, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi all,
I have a beautiful Lion's Ear plant and was searching for the correct place to find the seeds. I don't know if anyone else has noticed but the only two answers for this topic give two separate places: the first one says that the plant has fussy tassels that grow out of the plant in fall (pointed out in the picture) that have the seeds, and the other says that the seeds are in the sharp pointed things after the bloom is gone. Can anyone fix the misunderstanding? Thanks

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi ansonfan,
I am not fimiliar with this plant, but would love to have some of it's seed :o) Anyway in badseeds photo http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/1447/ it looks to be that the seedhead forms were the bloom is sitting, once the bloom dies the seedhead forms, in the collecting seed at the bottom of this page http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/54740/index.html, it says to
Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed
Allow seedheads to dry on plants; remove and collect seeds
Wear gloves to protect hands when handling seeds

If the flowers are dying out now, I would place knee highs over them and tie it just under them to catch the seeds.

Polkton, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks. Check back with me in a few weeks :)

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

ansonfan, you could probably dmail badseed, I am sure she wouldn't mind you dmailing her and asking a question about these. She is a really nice person.
Connie

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

The seeds are behind the pointy things. The pointy things are very sharp, wear gloves. I've only done this once, but it seemed to work out OK. I waited until the entire stem had flowered and set seed and the pointy things turned nice and brown, then cut the stem off. Now you can shake and squeeze and down right dismantle the whole stem inside a bag- with gloves on of course. They germinate super easy and quick with surface sowing.

Polkton, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks AZRENO for you reply. I have already found out how brutal those tips are lol. That will really take someone by surprise if they don't know. But even with the bother, this plant really stands out in the garden and I'm sure to be growing it permenantly. Thanks again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.