Can anyone ID this nana for me?

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I have been obsessing over getting it for my very own since I saw it.

The reverse is such a stunning and deep purple.

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

It is cold hearty too I was told.

And not too big.

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks for your help.

Thumbnail by Kell
Everglades, FL(Zone 10a)

It looks like a giant red abyssinian to me. Down here we call them Jamaican Reds.
You have a very beautiful tree (cluster?). You know once the banana fruits, the tree it comes from dies off but the underground bulb will keep producing pups.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

If it doesnt get big then its Rojo Regards Paul

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I have seen both of those, no this banana is different. Its reverse a is real purple not reddish or splotched with green. A deep, incredible purple. It stood about 12 or 14 ft.

Thanks though for you help.

Thumbnail by Kell
Everglades, FL(Zone 10a)

Found a great banana site!
http://www.going-bananas.com/descriptions.htm#ROSE

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks, I emailed them my pics for an ID.

Rockledge, FL(Zone 10a)

They are called BORDELON banana.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Yes, I found out it is that one. THANKS!

Pittsburgh, PA

its beautiful if u ever know where to get an extra pup lmk...esp if its hardy....jean

Kell,

Attached from 'We Be Bananas'BORDELON

DESCRIPTION:
A beautiful, ornamental banana. Has a bright, maroon colored trunk and the underside of the broad leaves is a bright, wine color. [Q]uite similar to the Zebrina banana / Blood banana with its maroon staining on the top of the leaves and a shimmery maroon underside. (105) [F]ound in Bordelonville, Louisiana. This variety is an ornamental of supposed edible banana parentage to some degree, but its' origin is circumspect and it is assumed to be a hybrid. It may be a cross with the very red-striped variety known in the trade as Sumatran[a] Banana, M. acuminata 'Zebrina,' AKA M. sumatrana, AKA M. 'Rojo,' a notoriously slow, difficult, frost tender and cold sensitive plant even for Southern California. 'Bordelon' has green leaves striped with burgundy, and burgundy undersides. It is supposed to be a good cool grower and should be a great, more dependable substitute for Sumatran Banana. (079) First discovered in the Louisiana town of Bordelonville, this cultivar slightly resembles Musa acuminate ssp. Zebrine, the Blood Banana. Large ornamental foliage has maroon splotches on the upper surface and even more maroon on the underside; this cultivar also grows taller so it has more impact. Readily produces flowers and makes seeded, inedible fruit, which are also ornamental. (032) Large ornamental foliage with maroon spots. (038)

TYPE: ORNAMENTAL, SEEDED
GENETICS:
HEIGHT: 89-14' (032) (105), 25' (052)
HIGHLIGHTS:

(032) (022) (105)

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks Larry Cook!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.