PNW growers "leftovers" opportunity!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Hi all~

If anyone is interested in getting in on this, I will be officially posting this opportunity in the co-op area at the beginning of next week...most likely on Monday the 18th.

Every year, most of the biggest growers in the Pacific Northwest donate bearded iris rhizomes for their annual iris society sale. Of course, not everything sells so there are often leftovers. These are large, top quality rhizomes that you would pay a lot of money for elsewhere. There is a good mixture of old standbys and newer varieties. Both myself and Denise (member irisloverdee) have been authorized to offer them at reduced prices to DAVE'S GARDEN MEMBERS ONLY.

I will be happy to answer your questions here, however, I am not sure which varieties will be available yet, so please don't ask me that one. I will post the official list in the co-op forum next week and they will be on a first come, first served basis.

For those of you who wish to participate, the following rules and/or information applies:

1. The rhizomes are being dug this week, so by the time you get them they will have been out of the ground between 2 and 3 weeks. For those of you that are familiar with irises, you know that they can stay out of the ground for over a month and still be okay. However, I wanted to let you know in case you're worried about that sort of thing. Some of the leaves will be quite crispy, but they will grow new ones. If this is unacceptable to you, please don't participate in this co-op.

2. The sale will only last 3 days. The plants will be shipped the week of September 25th.

3. Acceptable payment methods will be Paypal only!!! You may use your bank account or credit cards. It is free to set up an account and to send money. Due to how long the rhizomes have been out of the ground, we do not have time to wait for checks and money orders to arrive. Denise will be processing the Paypal payments.

4. A Paypal fee of 30 cents plus 3.5% of your the $ amount sent will be added to your total . Sorry about this...but we can't expect Denise to eat the charges and Paypal won't waive them.

5. The prices will be $2 for Tall Bearded rhizomes and $1 for everything else.

6. As stated above, I DO NOT know the varieties that will be available yet. You will know when I do, I promise.

Hopefully we will get good participation in this and get everything sold. It's a great chance to get some new plants at awesome prices!

Laura

This message was edited Sep 13, 2006 1:03 PM

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Great!
Sherry

Calhoun, KY

Oh Laura, this sounds wonderful! I hope I don't miss it, even more I hope I can find it! I'm still very new to the site and haven't found my way around yet other than the iris forum. I'll watch for it.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I'm glad to hear some positive feedback already! :0)

abbigail1952~to find the co-op forum, click on the "Garden Talk" tab. Under the heading "Dave's Garden Community" you will find the Co-ops discussion forum. This particular co-op will be labled "PNW growers leftovers co-op". I should have the list up on Monday morning.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Looking forward to it - will "warm up" my paypal account!!!!

audrey

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

oh, no! here we go again......

plantnutga

Philadelphia, PA

Count me in Laura

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm saved. Don't have paypal.
Deborah

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Deborah - if you have a credit card or debit card you can have paypal - just in case you were not looking for redemption at this time......

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

ooooh, you enabler you!

plantnutga

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I have'em but they are hard to extract from DH's wallet. I hold the checkbook , the lesser of two evils. Oh, well. Ya'll have fun planting all those beautiful irises.
Deborah

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

Deborah

I've been selling non-plant items on eBay, offering Paypal as an option, and using the proceeds in my Paypal account to fund my little plant habit.

plantnutga

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Excellent idea plantnutga!

Calhoun, KY

Oh darn! I leave for work at 5:00 on Monday morning and won't be home until 6:45 that evening! Darn! The best ones will be gone by then. But...... then again....that may be a good thing! I'm out of room this year butttttt........... I could stick them somewhere until I can move them next year. Hummmmm.

Thanks for the directions on how to find the co-op. I'll be sure to check it out!

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

Deborah and mrsj: that way everybody is happy- most of it doesn't come out of the household budget.

Plus some of my husbands "little buddies" are not computer literate, they are happy to have someone sell the occasional item for them for the teeniest little percentage, I don't run that through PayPal because it's more of a pain to get the money out, I take money orders or checks, give the seller their money, and my teeny little bit goes into my nursery buy stash....

Hey, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!

plantnutga

This message was edited Sep 13, 2006 5:50 PM

This message was edited Sep 13, 2006 5:51 PM

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Plantnutga, you go gurl! Sounds like a win, win.

Clatskanie, OR(Zone 9b)

Thanks again and again Flowerfrenzy. I have engin running on my pay pal account and am
going to stop bragging about the 40 new Iris's I got in the ground because the year is not over. VROOM VROOM I am ready. Thanks again Laura. Frank

Clatskanie, OR(Zone 9b)

I am so happy with my new long 2.25"x24" bulb planting augur that I bought this spring.
I got it from the bulb section of an online seed company. It is just what the Dr. ordered when it comes to planting bulbs etc. With my 1/2" electric drill and and extension cord, it only takes about 10 seconds for each hole. Every Iris lover needs one of these. At 10 seconds per hole, in one hour I can drill 360 holes. 360x$2=$720- oops I am doing that thing, I do ,again. I am never going to spend $700 on Iris this fall. I will just look for some fave and try to get some for BW. Phew, that was some hot flash. Frank

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Oh boy,

presumably rhz. will be named???
Inanda

This message was edited Sep 14, 2006 10:43 AM

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Glad to hear everyone is so excited!

Inanda~So happy that you can participate this time!!! Yes, every iris will be named. You can also count on them being CORRECTLY named because of the excellent growers they will be coming from! :0)

Winchester, VA(Zone 6a)

SO EXCITED! can we disguise the boxes to look like yard tools so my DH won't know i ordered more.... again!?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Well, hopefully, at only $1-$2 each he'll realize you got a great bargain that didn't break the bank! :0)

Winchester, VA(Zone 6a)

exactly. still, maybe i'll sneak these in through my work address.... lol

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

LOL...a woman after my own heart! :0)

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

pegdog- definitely a woman after my heart!!!

Up until now I could sneak plants in because LH travels. Unfortunately for the next few weeks he has to help pot 'em up for a little while until I'm allowed to bend & dig.

So right now I am being very, very supportive about his hobbies

:)

plantnutga

Winchester, VA(Zone 6a)

Why mess with him when he doesn't need to know?? I mean, the iris go in and nobody will know any different until they come up next year ... doubled in bedsize!!! Such a good plan. :)

Landisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I don't have paypal either..How do I sign u p for it??????

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Here's a link to the Paypal website in case anyone wants to sign up for an account prior to the sale happening.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_registration-run

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I just had a chat with a co-worker that also gardens, and he said he has planted iris and daylilies into October and they did just fine for him. He claims that even though the foliage freezes and dies down, the part below the soil continues to make roots until the ground freezes solid. So......with the prices of these so cheap, I'm gonna test his theory. :)

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Joan~

Thanks for the information! It's good to know that even in colder climates, bearded irises can be planted later in the year.

Once, I accidentally left a pile of irises out on the side of the house all winter long. We had a harsher-than-normal winter and they actually froze to the ground! Once Spring came around, I planted them (just in case a few had some life left in them) and threw the worst looking ones onto the compost pile. Not only did the ones that I planted grow and bloom, but the ones that made it deep enough into the compost pile grew and bloomed as well.

Of course, I don't recommend doing this...I'm just making a point that irises can be tough to kill!

Laura

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

Laura

will we be placing our orders in the co-op forum or D-mailing you? I'm a new DGer and I've only participated in one co-op so far, the one for the plant tags.

I'm sure the feeding frenzy will be fast & furious so I want to be prepared....

plantnutga

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

You can do it either way. I take the time of the posts and the time of the d-mails and put them in order so whoever ordered first gets dibs.

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

Awesome! I now feel prepared. RMMM, RMMM, starting that buying engine....

plantnutga

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

LOL

What time on Monday? I have to work, but will rearrange my schedule to match the start of this co-op if I have to. :)

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

goodness, I hope it's early, we're 3 hours ahead

:)

plantnutga

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I will try to do the listing at 9:30 a.m. Pacific Standard Time.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Okay, I *think* that converts into 10:30 Mountain Time, 11:30 Central and 12:30 Eastern. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Ooh! Something fun to take my mind off waiting for the phone to ring that afternoon... as many of you know from the thread in the prayer forum or from chat, I've got a pregnancy test scheduled on Monday!

I won't be around the week of the 25th, but I'll get a friend to receive them for me if they can't be shipped later.

Will you be shipping in Priority Mail flat rate boxes? How many rhizomes do you figure will fit into a box?

Thanks so much to Laura & Denise for doing this!!!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Not sure on the shipping charges yet. Probably flat rate PRIORITY mail. As to how many will fit in the box, it depends on what you buy. The TBs are a lot bigger than the others.

Calhoun, KY

Darn!Darn! Darn! I'm up at 3:15 here and off to work at 5:00! ALL the iris will be gone when I get home at 6:45 that evening! Darn!

Why don't all you really nice people wait until then to look at them? LOL! In this case the early bird doesn't get the worm!

Oh well, maybe there will be some left.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.