Signs of fall

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Thought it might be fun to list the things that say to us Fall is coming. I'll start!

Albion Fair, Sept 12 to 16

4 dozen+ robins flocking in the lot across the street

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Ah, lemme see, being able to leave doors and windows open without cooling the outside!! :)

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

Football on the tele
Running out of daylight hours before I run out of energy
The wondeful plumes of ornamental grasses

- Brent

On the banks of the , VA(Zone 7a)

WAY less bugs..

Shenandoah Valley, VA

The first blushes of red on the red maples, dogwoods and Virginia creeper on the mountain.

Rain finally after the usual July and August drought and nice, nippy evening temperatures.

Fall is my favorite time of year. I love the colors and the smells and the crunch of fallen leaves underfoot, just enough nip in the air for sweaters.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Stepping out that first night to a clear, crisp, star lit sky....taking a deep breath and seeing it as you exhale...a time for the trees to bless us with their spectrum of colors...time to wear your favorite OLD hoodie sweatshirt...time to drink hot apple cider...knowing in a couple of months it'll be time for hot cocoa and marshmallows....

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

WAY more crickets in my basement!

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

The sound of our local high school's marching band practicing in the afternoon--high energy music!

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Going up on top of Peters Mountain to watch the weather change in contrast with the leaf color.

Crozet, VA

My collie/shephard mix dog's hair is getting really thick. I commented yesterday that he was in need of a grooming or something. Afraid to take him for a haircut because they almost shave him and he looks pitiful. ha-ha

My yard is surrounded with trees and I am finding some huge leaves that have blown in. This is my first attempt at starting a compost pile, so some of those leaves will be going in there as soon as I have time to rake them.

You know you have this gardening bug bad when you get excited about table scraps and falling leaves, which in the past have only meant a nuisance to me.

Ruby

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I was telling my kids how I like raking leaves when they're wet on the lawn ( i started because then they were just right for the compost) because I feel like I'm giving the grass a nice breath of air and light. Yeah, I'm a table scrap nerd. Don't forget eggshells. Be sure to get some nitrogen and water in whe n those leaves pile up.

Fall- when I'm up early enough for dawn, and the sun slants through the trees, making those long shadows across the dewy lawn, and the little spider webs all dewy too. All the gardeny things you only have in fall.

Centreville, VA(Zone 7a)

FALL …..Huumh

Festival season ahead
Air, turns crisp and nippy
Leaves change colors
Love is in atmosphere

Its that time of the year when every one is happy and looking forward to holidays

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

The colors are what I like, too.

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Joey - so pretty!!! Looks like a little ole sunburst!!

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Yea, well...I don't know what kind it is, but it did turn out rather nice. Well, now I know it's name!
Thanx Chantell.

I never really paid attention to the names of flowers, until I started visiting DG. It's a Great education! :-))

I have one more shot ~ wanna see?

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh Joey...I don't know the name of it...I just thought that's what it looked like....a sunburst. :)

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Shucks! That's Ok....We'll just call it "sunburst", anyway.:-))

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL - there you go!! :)

Alexandria, VA(Zone 7b)

Mums-don't really love them, but it wouldn't be fall, if I didn't tuck in a few somewhere-same w/ pansies, although I like them more, especially purples & blues (but stretching this year w/ Skyline Copperfield-sunset shades-yellows, pinks, burgundy). Also, walking out in the morning to get the paper in the cool dark & crickets on the sunporch...

Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

I know its getting to be fall when I hear the sounds of geese as they fly overhead, or when I am awake at 2 am trying to find that lonely cricket somewhere in the house.

It's fall when I have to break out the sleeping bag to sit and watch my son's football games!

Browns Summit, NC

mums, pansies and apples!! Fire in the fireplace

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.