Clematis Suppliers

Saco, ME

Probably in the spring, I found through Dave's Garden fellow gardeners a woman who grew only Clematis for sale and I cannot remember her name because I did not save her website. I remember people raved about her and called her by her first name and she had an incredible website and I believe was in the Northwest region of US Everybody was very pleased with the health and size of the plants they purchased from her by mail. Anybody know this person's name and/or website? I am going crazy (clematis crazy) trying to remember!!!!! Thanks.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Silver Star Vinery
www.silverstarvinery.com
Debbie is awesome.

Saco, ME

Thank you so much marieortiz!!!! I was actually looking on the internet and still couldn't find it. I need a clematis fix and thought I would buy a few to put in this fall.

musicmonkey2

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I just bought some from her too. :o)

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

I just recieved 2 from her and they are great!!! Going to order more as soon as DH recovers from my bulb order...:-)........Lauri

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I recently got 4 and they are really doing well. Debbie is a great help and will answer your questions. Her plants are awesome.

Denver, CO

Ditto that:

Thumbnail by ineedacupoftea
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

JamesCo - that is gorgeous - what is it's name?

Denver, CO

'Kermesina" A heck of a grower from that gallon-sized rootball. I am going to move it to replace an overgrown hops vine this early winter. It had semidouble flowers in it's mid-season bloom; It has bloomed three times (half to a dozen flowers at a time.) Did I mention it came from Debbie this spring?
I never pick plant cultivars so well.
Kenton J.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Wow that a beautiful clematis. I cannot wait to get teh ones I ordered from her.

I am so impressed with Silver Star and Debbie...when I recieved my clematis from her the next day it turned off to be100 and I had to get them in the ground. They never even wilted! They are growing like weeds..Now to head back over and order more.

James that is beautiful...I may have to add it to my wish list......Lauri

Denver, CO

I moved that Clematis tonight, and it had approximately five gallons worth of rootball, and then a bit I had to cut. And it's about six feet tall. Granted, it is a viticella hybrid, but I wonder just how she gets the silly things to be so vigorous, I have never seen plants of that size from garden centers, etc, grow so well. Good selection? Certain pruning technique? Certain nutrient accumulations? The only thing I know for sure is that I'll be ordering from her again.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

I've got 4 coming from Debbie next week!! Yippie!!!

Debbie

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Uh Oh!!!! This will not be a good thing for me in the spring. Too late now which is a good thing, but come Spring,,,whoa

Kelly

Kelly , Hey you can contact Debbie and have them set aside till spring. She may want a deposit but at least they will be there for ya..Hey just trying to help....:-)....Lauri

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Laurie,

Yeah, that's what I need is *help* ie Enabler,,,ROFLOL Haven't had time to look through all of them, but I'm gonna need to put up more vine holders,,,,LOL I saw some I'm lovin'

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

It's not too late Kelly!!! Get some in the ground now, almost like a extra growing season. Comon!!!! Order, Order, Order!!!

Debbie

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Enabler!!!!!!

I still have a few more things to get in and for us up here, it's geting Way late. I push it every year,,,LOL

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I recv's my 4 last week. They looked awesome and she even left one flowering for me!!!
I am a complete newbie to clematis so I am looking forward to learning from all of you.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Clematis' hate me,,,I've lost more than I care to mention,,,grrrrr
Although, this year they didn't do too badly, maybe they are starting to like me. Even had one that turned brown and crispy within a few days. I pulled it out, but it's coming from the roots. I thought I pulled the whole thing out, was glad to see new growth.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

I had one I thought was dead the last summer. I planted it last spring and it just died. Then this spring it came back and grew great!!! Gotta keep watering that stick! LOL

Debbie

Denver, CO

Go for it, Kel.
(And great to see you again.)

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Debbie,
That's encouraging. I'm watching it every day now,,LOL Thing is, I have some Veronica right in front of it and a few stalks of that turned brown and bit the dust. I'm needing to figure out what did it. Don't want it happening again.

JCO,
Hi there, yes, good to see you too, we haven't run into each other for quite some time. Hope all is well.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

My husband and I have cleared one row of grapevines we have had for the past 20 years. Of course they still produced well, but we no longer make grape jely, juice or wine. I have another course to clear - they occupy a 25 foot span of chain link fence.

What do you think I should put in there to climb up an 8 ft. chain link fence??? LOL

I do want to grow 'Kermesina' that JamesCo had pictured. We are cooling down drastically in our area. I may have to wait until next year to plant more. I know I cannot plant daylilies successfully after Oct. 15.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I would suggest you put in mostly 'A' group clematis which you will not need to prune much - especially helpful when you are growing on chain link!
Here is a pic of the west side my clematis fence in the early summer. It is about a 15 foot stretch of 4 foot high chain link which used to surround my veggie garden. There are cedar posts at either end, part of gazebo and pergolas and this summer since obviously they needed further to grow I put hooks at the tops of the posts and ran wires back and forth so they are in a V shape. There are currently 4 clematis growing there which judging by the summer growth is quite enough.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

This is the east side of the clematis fence, taken in June.There is a narrow flower bed in front so I can grow other things there to protect the clemmie roots.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Fancyvan - thanks for responding. And you are in Canada!

I was loath to plant this fall as I thought they would not survive the winter! Your vines look so healthy and vigorous. I will keep the Group 1 in mind as far as pruning.

Your doggie is so neat with its fluffy well groomed plume of a tail. What kind is it?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

se_eds that is Bailey my sable Sheltie. I also have a blue merle named Fancy!
A and C group clematis are just fine here - the ones that are not reliable are the B group.

carolvan

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

Got my new ones in the ground from Debbie at Silver Star Vinery...Some had blooms and buds and the roots are amazing...check her site out...you'll be glad you did...I know I was...

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Glad to hear that Demstratt - I was well pleased with her plants. Wish I had ordered more when I sent my fall order. I think it is too late to plant here now so will have to wait till spring.

Claire

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Check out 2 of the 4 Clematis I just received from Debbie last week. The root system is awesome!!

Debbie

Thumbnail by baja220
Central, WI(Zone 4a)

OMG,,,,,those look fantastic. Thanks God it is Too late for me to order and get them in now. Will Definitely be looking for next year though. May have to make a list now so I don't have to go through all of them again,,,sounds like a good project for a snowy day.

GG...........gotcha. Our job here is done till spring...LOL...............Lauri

This message was edited Oct 2, 2006 8:01 AM

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Ah, How lucky my checkbook and cc are,,,lol

Denver, CO

Which ones did you order from Debbie, Debbie?
(seriously)

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

I got 2 Rouge Cardinals(1 for a co-worker), Pink Champagne, and Crystal Fountain. I'm about to order a Liberation and I need a group 3 to go with Rouge Cardinal and Midnight Showers. Can't decide which one. Help me out!!

Debbie

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

LOL,,,I'm Not lookin',,,sorry

ROFL......GG we could send ya some pics if you need them....;-)............Lauri

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Debbie: Get them BOTH! That way you won't have to make that tough decision! :~)

I just planted another 'Venosa Violacea' through a white Crepe Mrytle tree http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=585 (the drought killed my 1st one) and 'Rahvarinne' http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=387 was planted with Rosa, 'Queen Nefertiti'. http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/52220/index.html

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Shirley your combinations should be lovely.

Can anyone tell me where I might get some seed of the little bell shaped blue clematis that grows in the woods? I had seen some years and years ago at my SIL's farm in West Va. He has moved since then. Although seedlings don't come true, the species/wild ones should be pretty close.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.