Can persimmons be grown in a container?

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

I would love to have a persimmons tree but know very little about them. I don't have anymore room on my property but can grow one on my deck in a wine barrel. Can this be done? Is there a dwarf size that produces fruit? I have a mango, fig and star fruit tree.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

How many chill hours do you get a year? Some Japanese persimmons are self-fruitful. My favorite is Fuyu (requires 200 chill hours). It is non-astringent. Izu is also non-astringent, self-fertile and only requires 100 chill hours. Both are relatively small trees.

bettydee --- In my zone the temperature rarely goes below freezing and if it does it will only be for a few hours if at all. When the sun rises it pops up to the 60's or 70's. Does this mean I can not grow a persimmon??? I am a few miles north of Miami.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Tplant I think you might be to warm. 100 chill hours is very low though.

All this time I thought persimmons were a tropical plant or tree? So I can't grow one here??

Hopkinsville, KY(Zone 6b)

There are at least a couple of the D.kaki (Asian) persimmons that would fruit in zone 10, but I can't say how well, if at all, they'd fare in a container - even if it were a 15 or 30 gallon one. Some of the Asian persimmons are not much more than a big, sprawling bush, and might work, though others do become a fairly good-sized tree.
Check out the offerings at Just Fruits & Exotics, in Crawfordville
http://www.justfruitsandexotics.com/

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Figuring the number of chill hours in an area where the winter temperatures bounce all over the place can get complicated. Basically, the number of hours the temperature stays between 32ºF and 45ºF are counted as chill hours. The best thing to do is to contact your local county extension agent and ask. You would be getting an average. So if you want fruit every year, you need to stick to fruit that require less than that average.

http://solutionsforyourlife.ufl.edu/map/index.html

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.