September Clean-up and/or Prep

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I can't beleive that September is here and almost 1/2 over! Since we've had this cool down, I have been thinking about what I need to start cleaning up. I still have some green tomatoes on the vine that I am not sure will ripen with this cooler weather [it was 47 degrees last night!]. My planters are tired. I was also thinking of getting the raised bed I purchased set up and ready for the garlic I want to try planting this year. Then there is the grass seed that needs to be sown since I lost alot of grass this year to the weather.

How about everyone else?

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Hubby and I were just out looking at the garden, I was thinking how nice it still looks, and he said, "you know, it won't be long before you have to clean all this out." Is he right?? Do I have to think about it already??

Anita.....say it ain't so.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I'm not Anita but I can tell you it's true. While it's soon enough going to be a grand time for leaves turning it's time to start winding down. At least the coleus, Tardiva hydrangea and dahlias are still around with asters yet to come.

It's a big letdown at this time of year, in a few ways.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

When I get home I will post my recipe for green tomato relish. It tastes a lot like sweet pickle relish. My neighbor loves the relish so much that he went through 3 batches this year. I did green tomato chutney too last year - but I can't find the recipe.
Got the notice that Brecks is shipping my bulbs. Wonder how many companies I ordered bulbs from this summer? Always a plesant surprise when they come.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

That would be great - I would love that recipe, thanks!

(Zone 4a)

I think I will be taking down my pots and hanging planters etc and getting those cleaned up. I hate working outside in the cooler weather. I am just going to leave my beds alone until the leaves fall and then cover them up....I guess that is about all I need to do.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

gee, I'm still planting stuff. I had some sedum in pots trying to get some decent roots on it before I put it in the ground. Finally got that planted yesterday. And I planted a bunch of creeping thyme last weekend. I just ordered some dwarf conifers from Arrowhead Alpines (and a few small perennials). I should call them tomorrow and see if they will ship soon. I really need to get those in ASAP. and of course bulbs coming, but I ordered from John Scheeper's and they said they don't ship until late Oct.

I've picked all my tomatoes and peppers and pulled out the pepper plants. Just have to chop up the tomato vines and get rid of them. I had them all in containers, so no big deal. And I need to get some extra mulch to protect the things that I'm pushing the zone on.

gram

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

what do you do with your tomatoes gram?

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Let me start by demanding a refund! We had a late start, and now an early finish, to our growing season. My biggest tomatoes are just turning red. I,for one, will not stand for it!
I am owed at least 3 more weeks of summer and I refuse to allow my leaves to fall until I get it! Join with me. Call your congressmen. Whine to your meteorologist.
Remember, if we give in, then the terrorists win!

Dave

PS. Anita wrap tomatoes in newspaper and store in a cool dry place. Don't forget, like I do, to keep checking to see if they've turned red.

Stratford, CT(Zone 6b)

I'm hoping the third planting of carrots will reach maturity before a hard frost. Last year I lucked out. This year with a soft frost a mere 5 miles from me, I'm uncertain.

I'll be heading to a local nursery to replace several perennials I lost to a crab grass problem this weekend and starting some trim backs in anticipation of the fall clean up.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Dave, my congressman won't take my calls. My meteorologist either. But I'm there for ya, buddy. I'll give my leaves a talking to!

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Dave, wrap them in newspaper? I thought I had to put them on a sunny window sill?

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Anita, mine were all ripe. My poor bushes were very sick and stopped setting fruit so I didn't have any green ones. But like Dave said, wrap the green ones in newspaper, keep them cool, and they will ripen slowly. but you have to keep checking. if you put them on a sunny window sill, they will ripen in a few days and you will have to use them up. the newspaper keeps them longer so you have more time with fresh ripe tomatoes.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

ahhh..that is a fantastic tip! Thanks so much!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Or you can wrap them in newspaper, forget about them until Christmas and have a mess on your hands (My method)

Assonet, MA(Zone 6b)

Grampapa I am so glad that I'm not alone! I'm still planting also - some of the same items - thyme & sedum. I'm also rearranging, and waiting for some deliveries. I recently retired, so this year I've gone 90% perrenial - what fun. Dave is absolutely right, we should get a few extra weeks just to make up for the time we couldn't go outdoors because of "catapiller rain". I am giving in and having my trees sprayed next year.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

My father said that I should try to seed my lawn at this time of the year. I thought Fall and spring were the best times?

Anita - this is fall so why not seed your lawn now?

Yes, wrap in newspaper but check more often than Dave. NO sunny windowsills for them. They ripen in darkness. You could also put them on your counter, lay a few sheets of paper towels under them and half of Newsday on top and pray the politics don't get to the tomatoes or you'll have whiney tomatoes.

Dave, you write the letter to the complaint department this time and sign my name to it.

Kerhonkson, NY(Zone 5a)

I tried the tomatoes in newspaper trick last year but the taste was never any good -- this year I'm going to use the (lots of) green tomatoes in place of tomatillo's for salsa and sauces (I heard they were a good substitute) ...

My tomatoes started out so well with lots of growth and tomatoes starting and then I only got about 5 big red ones (Brandywines and Box Car Willies) before the rot and splitting started -- my Sun Golds split too from all the rain ... and the big tomatoes are rotting on the vine ... bummer

Wellington, OH

Anita - I've been seeding the last couple of weeks and the grass is coming up really well. I've been watering a lot, but with rain the last couple of days, not had to do that.

Kay

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I hear you crockny! I had a tough year with tomatoes too. As far as the green ones, I think tomatoes that are closer to maturity fare better in the newspaper. Are there other thoughts on this?
Pirl, Whenever I send a nasty letter I sign your name. So we're good. ;^)

You're a sweetheart!

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Anyone use the Gardens Alive products? I might feel better about applying their products to my lawn. I cut some tomatoes and put them on the window sill. I had a terrible year for them too.

We had a lot of scar facing on the tomatoes but they taste wonderful and keep producing. Now, with the cooler weather I think it's coming to a close.

The raspberries keep going on and on. Love the gold ones.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I love raspberries too. I can't stand the seeds though.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I only use Gardens Alive products and have been very, very happy with them. I especailly like the bulb food and the fruit tree food - although I use the fruit tree food on my berries as I just planted fruit trees. There is always a $20 or $25 dollars off coupon available for them on the internet. I've tried some of the sprays and they worked really well, too.

Anita - there's a thread by grampapa about what kind of flower are you and when you connect to the link there's a $25.00 off coupon for Gardens Alive products.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

excellent!! Thanks, Arlene and Ayankeecat

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Arlene - I've been searching for that posting. Do you by chance have a link?

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/624024/

Have fun!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Anita, I also use a lot of Garden's Alive products and have been very happy. One of my favorites is the slug & snail product "Escar go" I also use the pantry moth traps that are like a little triangular box. I used their lawn product WOW (without weeds) but its so heavy that the shipping charges made it expensive. So I now buy my corn gluten at Agway.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Thanks. I've used the company before for ladybugs. I will have to log in the watchdog since there were quite a few negative comments on them, but I had good experiences. I use escargo to.

Assonet, MA(Zone 6b)

Love that name "Escar go".

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

isn't it great?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I saw a greeting card once that said "look at that S car go!"

just my 1.5 cents.

xxxx, Carrie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh! I thought you put green tomatoes in a brown paper bag with a ripe apple.

So Pirl, is it really Fall? I was looking out at all the plants. Balloonflowers and daylilies are done, coreopsis and coneflower are mostly done, blanket flower is still blooming along with a geum. Yarrow and Butterfly Bush ready to be cut back/down. Same with hollyhocks, hardy gladiolas, mallows, and most of the crocosmia. Annuals: lisianthus (sp?) are on their last gorgeous bloom. ivy geranium still pretty. Impatiens needs pruning again but still looks ok. Lobelia stopped looking good a few weeks ago - did I do something wrong? Bacopa still looks great, pansies love this weather, lantana looks the best it's looked all year, but dascia is totally pooped out. Starting to clean out the dead annuals and put the live ones all together; sort out the house plants and the annuals that will be happy inside for a week or two more; planning furiously for next year. I think it probably IS Fall.

xxxxx, Carrie

Yes, Carrie, I believe it's here. Many annuals perk up with the cool weather while others aren't happy without the heat.

Today I cut back the coleus but did a good job and they just look neater, not hacked. I saved all the cuttings, sterilized pots and put them all in Miracle Gro potting soil. We'll see how they like it in the east window this winter.

I did attack the courtyard plants and cut back many, ripped out others and wished I had watered more during that heat spell: I'll know better next time.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I will be getting some coleus, heliotrope and pentas cuttings too.

You said the magic word - pentas. I bought one and it dried up so I put it next to a pot of red and white plants and just found it's revived itself (with the help of those rains we had!) and just planted it. Maybe I'll get a flower before frost!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I just put out foxglove, columbine and babtista australis seedlings.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.