Mt. Tamboritha woolly grevillea - grevillea lanigera

Rogue River, OR(Zone 8a)

I have been reading about this plant from Monrovia - has any one ever grown it? I

Thumbnail by betsyah
Shelton, WA(Zone 8a)

Unfortunately, no, but I'll be watching this thread to find out what others have to say! Beautiful plant.

Oops -- way not for my climate zone. Drat!!!

This message was edited Sep 11, 2006 5:28 PM

So does that mean I can't grow it either??? That is a very cool looking plant!

Shelton, WA(Zone 8a)

From what I've read I don't think it's going to go any farther north than northern California. Rats! There are other grevilleas that we can grow but not that one, unless I've been reading the wrong info.

Rogue River, OR(Zone 8a)

The data that i have says it has cold hardiness 10-20 degrees - that means it can freeze - so unless you get colder than that, you should be able to grow it. now i have to find seeds! i am in zone 8a too.

This message was edited Sep 12, 2006 5:23 AM

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

The latin name sounds familiar. I think I've seen it growing here. Check Colvos Creek Nursery availability or Cistus Nursery but I know I've come across it.

Shelton, WA(Zone 8a)

I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong on this one!! :-)

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

this is yet further justification for a greenhouse.............

Shelton, WA(Zone 8a)

Got one of those!

Rogue River, OR(Zone 8a)

me too - but it is in a box in my husbands shop........ someday! : )

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

betsy - the greenhouse or the plant? :O)

Shelton, WA(Zone 8a)

I sure hope it's a greenhouse in the box not a grevillea. The plant could be in pretty bad shape. Ouch!

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

LOL

Rogue River, OR(Zone 8a)

hardy har har! i would never do that to a plant!

Burwash Weald, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

Betsyah - this is a real beauty.

I am trying two Grivillea's this year for the first time - Grivillea Juniperina and Grivillea Romarinifolia. They started blossoming just before Easter, and have literally just stopped this week. Extraordinary plants! The Juniperus has actually set seed - and I have harvested some, but I don't actually know how to tell if they are ripe (they came away easily, but are red blushed over green?) I have sown some, but it is pretty experimental. Also took cuttings today of the Romanarius.

Gardening at the same zonal band as you are - so fingers crossed that these may prove hardy-ish.

This message was edited Oct 23, 2006 12:50 AM

Rogue River, OR(Zone 8a)

keep us all updated - what fun to experiment!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.