Chambeyronia hookeri or other sp

Burbank, CA

Anyone have experience with any of these? About how tall from ground level do they have to be to get the color leaf?

I have read that they are good to go for So Cal...what do you all think?

I would also like to know how much you all have paid for them to see if I can find a deal.

Gracias!

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Cost is dependent on size... this is a very common palm at palm specialty nurseries so you can probably get them relatively 'cheap' (15 gal palm will still cost you about $100 unless on sale... but a large 5 gal will be $25-$40). Does VERY well in most areas of Southern California, and Burbank should be no problem, as long as you have some shade for it (doesn't like the baking hot summer sun). If you ever drive over Beverly Glen into the Los Angeles area, you can see several Chambeyonias growing along side the road in someone's front yard in full sun... but they have a much better climate than you do. These tend to show a new red leave at the gal size. But some just don't, ever.

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

When I was in Maui I purchased one from this nursery:

http://www.tropicalgardensofmaui.com/palms.aspx

Their prices are pretty good even when you factor in shipping (assuming you buy 3-4 plants)

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

You can get gal sized plants from Floribunda Palms for about $5 each (bare root- usually do well).

Rancho Cucamonga, CA(Zone 10a)

I have a hookeri that started out as a fifteen gallon size that has been in the ground now for 3 years. The crown shaft (no trunk yet but close) is in a protected location but the last frond that opened up is roughly 8' long with almost half of it being in full sun. It opened up as we were having our severe heat spell in july and to my suprise it has shown no hint of burn to the new leaf even now still no burn. The only thing I noticed was that although the leaf was deep red color when it opened, it did not stay red as long as previous leaves. I can only attribute it to the Sun but not sure. Definitely a must try in your location. It has put out 2 new fronds each year so its not exactly setting any speed records but it hasn't been as slow as I suspected either. But since the leaves 8 plus feet, it still stands out and is pretty noticeable.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

HEre's a shot of mine in Thousand Oaks... a LOT worse climate than Burbank

Thumbnail by palmbob
Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

I agree with palmbob. You can get nice 1 gallon sized ones from floribunda but you have to order a minimum of $100 so get plenty of them!! ; - ) They have alot of neat palms so I'm sure you could fill an order. The packing and shipping costs on a $100 order usually comes out to around $30. Not bad considering how cheap the plants are.

Burbank, CA

I have spent $$$ on palms recently and I think my wife may kill me if I spend more!

Don I would love to see some pics of yours! Bob that is sweet looking and I definitely want one :)

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Here's a shot of my current plant (no longer own that other one)

Thumbnail by palmbob

Here is a couple of photos of mine. The first one was taken two years ago, aproximately about 1 year in the ground. The second was taken last year but since then 1 leaf has opened up (the one I mentioned earlier that had opened up in full sun) and another is about to open up I would say in about another month maybe sooner. I will post a new pic when that one opens up but here are the two older ones for now. When you see the leaflets you will notice how wide they are, aprox 6'' with a very distinct look. Not only is this Palm stunning when it throws a new leaf, it is still a very attractive palm when no new leaf is opening. The crown shaft on the hookeri is a yellowish color and other varieties a likewise very interesting.

Thumbnail by Don_L

Here is the second photo that was taken a year ago, notice the leathery texture of the leaflets as well. I will post a more current photo as soon as the new leaf opens.

Thumbnail by Don_L
Burbank, CA

Wow they both look great. I noticed that both of you planted those palms relatively close to your homes/walls. How much spacing do they need to prevent damage to property? Also it looks like the areas have plenty of shade...is that true for the majority of the day where you planted them?

The palms wont damage any walls or concrete so that's not a problem. Mine is about 18" away from the house just so that I can get back there relatively easy for what ever reason. The area I have mine in is in a protected area from full sun as it is a north facing wall but as you can see it still can get bright light. As they grow they can however take more and more sun, but I would try to keep it out of Full Sun inland where it can be more intense. As I mentioned though, the last leaf that opened up gets sun all day and that was even when we were getting those rediculously high temps in July this year and to my suprise the leaf still looks nice. When the new leaf opens up I will post a pic and you will see the leaf that is in full sun along with the new red one.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Mine is planted there for exactly that reason... to get as little direct sun as possible. The leaf sticking out most towards the yard did get burned the day we got up to 120F. But surprisingly not fried to a crisp as I expected. Still, it will never look good again, so hoping in a year I will be able to cut that leaf off of my then perfect looking palm.

Burbank, CA

I would definitely like to get one or two or more ;) but right now $100 of palms is a tough sell so Floribunda is out of the question. Any other internet growers that you could suggest?

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

No. Palms are a pricey hobby. Be thankful you're not into bamboo... palms are cheap by comparison.

My hookeri just started opening up its new frond today. This is the second leaf that this one has opened this year. The last one opened up in late July just as we were having that outrageous heat wave. It amazes me the size of the leaf that they throw in relation to its size. As you can see there is no visible trunk yet but the spear is 8' long and when its fully opened the leaflets are 6'' wide. I'll post a pic of it when it's fully opened in a day or so but heres one for now so you can see the progress. This pic was taken today at around 4 pm

Thumbnail by Don_L

Oops posted a pic of my C Gigas, but its not far off from opening its 3rd frond since April. The Gigas spear is about 7 1/2' with another foot or so to go and will probably open within the next two weeks. But will try again and post a pic of my hookeri

Thumbnail by Don_L

Here is a picture of the Frond that opened up in full sun during our heat wave of 18 straight days of 100 plus temps. As you can see, suprisingly it has done quite well even with all that direct sun. I wish by Tazmanian Tree ferns fared as well. Eventualy the gigas in the previous pic will provide needed shade but untill then I have to live with it. You can also see in the pic that eventualy the sun begins to burn parts of my kentias leaves as well but eventualy the Gigas will come to it's rescue too.

Thumbnail by Don_L

here's another angle of the gigas. The top spear is about 10 - 11' high not long. I planted in the ground 3 1/2 years ago from a fifteen gallon and was really quite small but over the last year and 1/2 has really taken off

This message was edited Oct 14, 2006 8:03 PM

Thumbnail by Don_L

Ok will tr;y again. Here is another try with the gigas

Thumbnail by Don_L
SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

the ebay seller 'coconut climber' has been pretty good for me and I know he sells chambeyronia's. He ships bareroot but I've bought at least 20 palms from him and only lost one. Actually, it's not 'lost' yet, but it's not doing very well. I broke one of the main roots while potting it.

This message was edited Oct 12, 2006 11:35 PM

What palm was it that you damaged?

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

It was P. torallyi.

Burbank, CA

That is a sweet looking palm...here are my little guys: C. macrocarpa and C. macrocarpa var. hookeri

Thumbnail by K_Palm

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.