planted moonflower seeds collected last fall & NO FLOWERS?

Edinburg, IL(Zone 6a)

Last year I collected seeds from several moonflower pods. I allowed them to dry on the vine and stored them in the house in paper enevelopes. I wasn't sure if the seeds needed to be winterized so I left some outside in a large planter as well. I am in zone five. None of the seeds stored inside germinated. The seeds left outside all winter did, however, these plants only grew to about 2' tall. The leaves were large lush and heart shaped. The stem was sturdy and the plant overall appeared healthy. It is now Sept and it never climbed or developed a single flower. I gave two friends a plant and they reported the same complaint. Fortunately i bought another from a garden center so i was still able to have a lush flowering vine again this year...but i don't plan on collecting seeds again. What went wrong?

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

Well I bought seeds and have huge lush vines by nary a bloom- yet....

Lilburn, GA

Mine started to flower now but i am in a warmer zone than you.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Same Here. I'm in zone 6 but we've had a very hot summer and mine just started blooming about a week ago. I assume you're talking about datura and not the moonflower vine.

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

I'm assuming Eden is discussing Ipomoea. I had to use a bloom booster (Miracle Grow) to get my varigated Morning Glory to bloom this year and the flowers are few and far between. It does look like I'll get a few seeds, however. I think if the soil is too rich it will inhibit flowering. I believe that is what my problem is.

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

I have a varigated morning glory plant- actually 2 plants in a smallish pot with a metal thingy for a topiary in it. The MG has climbed up the circle topiary and is gorgeous. It doesn't got 6 ft tall - it is a very small one and I love it....

Browns Mills, NJ(Zone 6b)

I grew 2 from seed this year. They seemed to take forever to finally start growing and twining. I started them in March inside. one of mine started to bloom at the begining of August and the other, at the end of Aug. I have them in my regular crappy dirt with no amendments and mulched the top of it. I also hand pollinated to get some seeds for next year. I'll have to see how they will do next year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.