Let's see your bouquets!

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

We've seen individual blooms, we've seen them grown in pots, and we've seen our complete dahlia beds. Now let's see them in bouquets. I love being able to go out in my yard and bring in handfuls of flowers!

Thumbnail by mgh

I snuck a few asters and roses in my bouquets this time.

Thumbnail by mgh

Ok, I know you guys have bouquets too. Annie and Carol I've seen some of your bouquets.....let's see them here too! Please. LOL

Thumbnail by mgh
Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Superb.
Pity those poor roses, having to compete with our Dahlias....

LOL, Granny!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

So funny, granny, so funny. But those roses can't do the smell part so in their own ways, they are superb too!
Hey, Mendy, great idea.
Now I need to go get flowers to make bouquets tomorrow morning then. You are making more work for me girl! LOL
Yours looks so nice arranged. Joann will have a cow when she sees how I don't arrange mine, lol
The big joke here is I don't do arrangements well as Joann found out last year. Oh well I love the colors so there.....................

Work, work, work, Carol!! Get out there and work! Ok, you can wait till tomorrow morning if you must! LOL Maybe I should get you one of those miners lights that strap onto your head? ;o)

I saw your boquets last year and I thought they were great! I'm not the greatest arranger either.....especially when I have to leave several flowers on one stem to get the height I need for the ones in the back. Then I have a clump of one kind on one side and clump of another kind on another side. I guess I could go buy some floral foam and them I won't have that problem.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Beautifamous Mendy! I just love the rose/pinks/whites together and yes, the lowly roses do have a place mixed with dahlias. So pretty!

I have made: zero, zip, no bouquets for my house this year except for a couple small ones of short stems or broken stems. I have given a few to various folks, but it's the year of the florist for me and she is taking all I can bring. I sort of wince when I have to leave them there, but am greatly enjoying them as they bloom here.

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

To reduce the inflamation and pain caused by leaving your dahlias at the Florist, make a compress out of cold cash and apply it directly to the forehead, apply it directly to the forehead, apply it directly to the forehead.

Oh, that's right Annie. I forgot that you're the one who gives her dahlias to the florist and then pays to get them back from her. LOL I agree with Granny about the compress.....sounds good to me!!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

And just feel those dollars pulsing into your blood stream, LOL
I actually do have one of those miner's lamp, hehe Used to use it when I worked for the Forest Service years ago.................

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Here: here's a bouquet, my meager flower income was just about spent on two huge arrangements LOL, but I can't do something like this, nor do I have access to these flowers. They lasted forever ( except the dahlias, of course, but I was proud that they held up for 5 days.)

Thumbnail by Poochella
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, duh, of course those alstroemerias will last forever in bouquets!!!
They are great flowers. I am trying to get more of them myself.
I love that bouquet tho, Annie. Love the different types of flowers in it!

Beachwood, OH

Lucky lucky florist to get all those dahlias. This has been a beautiful thread - hope it keeps going

Beautiful arrangement, Annie! That one would be beyond my talents too. I have to thank you for the advice you gave on cutting dahlias to put in vases. I have been taking a vase of hot water out with me when I cut them and they sure last longer than they used to.

Think I might have to take a trip to the dollar store or Goodwill to see if I can find any interesting vases.

Glad you like the thread, alyrics! Do you have any pics to post too?

Chicago, IL

Gorgeous. You all are very generous with your Dahlias. Me, I hardly ever cut mine - the ones in my own garden, that is. I guard them very jealously. The one or two I put in a vase was knocked over in the wind or rain. Others are on the plants and NOBODY touches them! Not on your life! LOL.

The ones I planted in other gardens I couldn't care less. I wanted the property owners to cut them for use so they'll appreciate the flowers and continue to let me plant them in their garden. ROFL!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Mone, guess you need more dahlias then.
I used to be that way on not wanting to cut any, but have found the more I have, the more I do cut. I end up cutting from the back sides of the plants, the ones bending or on the ground as you say, but never ever the only bloom, LOL

Alyrics, yep, guess we are late birds, huh? It is the only time I can get online at times now with having so much to do in life and gardens.......... Like Mendy says, post some bouquets pics of your dahlias then.

Hi Pitimpinai. I know how you feel about not wanting to cut them and guarding them very jealously. The place I have my dahlias planted is on the side of my house that has no windows so I can't even see them from inside my house. If I cut them and bring them in, then I get to enjoy them more.....and I find that it makes the plants put out more blooms.

I grow lilies too and they are at the front of my house. At night we have a motion light that comes on when someone walks by. Well, I think that is what has made it easy for people to take what they please at night and then I wake up to no flowers in the morning. With my dahlias planted where they are it is pretty dark so they can't see to take them......even if they did, at least I would get more blooms from them still. So, yes, I know exactly what you mean by guarding them! LOL

I took a handful of them to my neighbor the other day though and she was thrilled to get them. I did that last year with the older gentleman across the street too and he was surprised. He can't see very well from across the street so he didn't even know I had these growing in my yard. ;o)

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Carol, you make me sound like some sort of ogre. LOL I am not an arranger either ; I leave that to Katy, my dd. But I do pick them and bring them in. I love putting different colors together. I took the lady who cuts my hair a bouquet of pink and orange and all kind of dahlias that would do in between. It was quite pretty if I say so myself. I have one in the house now, I know how to take the photos but I still can't figure out how to save them in the computer. This new camera isn't like the old one. I love taking bouquets to wherever I can.

Oh, I would have loved to see the one you gave your hairdresser! I bet it was beautiful! Have your daughter write down the directions as to how to save them on your PC. My DH used to do that for me when I couldn't remember something. I need to have him do that again to show me how to put pics on a cd so I can get them off the hard-drive.

Chicago, IL

" guess you need more dahlias then."

Yes, yes, yes, Carol. LOL. My greed is showing. :-D

This spring some people help themselves with tulips from my front yard. Everyday several would be missing. A neighbor said she had seen someone walk down the block with a beautiful bouquet that could only have been taken from my garden. I have a huge collection of Lilies too. Most are hidden way back. It's a sad society we live in nowadays

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Ok, Mendy, you asked for it!
I cut these dahlias and one lone glad. that was about on the ground.
I took a pic outside with them in their pitcher of water.
I had a gardening club gal stop by to look at my dahlias so we ended up talking for a long time.
Then I was so busy moving dirt in the front yard for my new flower beds! I decided not to do lawn in the front yard! Yeah!
I was sitting in the front yard just staring at it all and then it finally came to me on how I could do it. It felt so good to finally figure it all out. So hope it will work out now...............

So you guys can see what I would have put in a bouquet this way, LOL
Quite a collection of different blooms for sure. These are from my back yard. Never had time to get some from the front yard yet!

Thumbnail by daisyruffles
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

What a gorgeous selection of dahlias, Carol.

Do any of you remember the old old Romper Room television show? It was directed toward little little kids. At the very end of the program she would pick up a mirror without any glass and look through it and say " I see Susie, and Joey and Annie and on and on and you just would hope she would say your name. Well, when I look down at Carol's bouquets I think like the lady from Romper Room, I see FireMagic, and Berry Bounty and Crazy Legs, and Foxy Lady and .............

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh, yes, I do remember that show and what you mean. LOL

I need to go back and label them all. Plus need to do that for the dahlia beds too.........sigh............ so little time and so much to do...................
But with this nice weather, it is great to be outside now tho....................
Rain is to come Wed. so shall see about that.....................

Thanks, Joann. I know you have the same................. And a lot of these dahlias are due to you, so hats off to you too....................

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Lenjo! My brother and I still occasionally strike up the chorus of "Bend and Stretch, Reach for the Sky..." only now we are old middle aged fools trying to get rid of low back aches and pains LOL! Miss Betty must be a childhood hero to many.

Carol your collection is a sight to behold. I could stare at them all for hours trying to pick out favorites. I see Fire Magic, I see Lauren Michelle.....

Glad you got your front yard planned out. We will all get to reap the benefits of your labor next year!

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Carol!! Those bouquets are gorgeous! I was doing the same thing about picking out which ones I knew before I read Joann's post. LOL I don't remember watching Romper Room, but I sort of remember the lady at the end with the mirror.

I was doing the "Bend and Stretch, Reach for the Sky" this morning when I got out of bed because I was weeding a lot yesterday. Today DH and I will start scraping the house. I'm sure I'll be bending and stretching some more! LOL

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

I need to replenish my bouquet in the house but it is raining cats and dogs out - will have to wait for a break in the drops.

I pay money to do the 'bend and stretch' thing!! How silly

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Technically, these can't be called bouquets~they're just a bunch of dahlias stuck together in a coca-cola glass. However, they're still pretty.

Thumbnail by flowerfrenzy
Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

The second one...

Thumbnail by flowerfrenzy

Ooooooo, gorgeous bouquets, Laura!! Yes, I would call them bouquets.....doesn't matter what they're in! Thanks for sharing them!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Coca cola glass works for me! Those are beautiful. I wish you could give us a quick run down of names on that first one, especially the two smaller reddish / ?orange round ones in the middle- just above the larger red laciniated one. But if you get on a roll, just name them all LOL!

It's so nice to see all your flowers prospering.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I really don't do bouqets, but I do cut the ones at work and bring them in at least once a week.
I brought these in from my house for a change.
Took 5 shots of this to get this Pooch photo LOL.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Al, if your camera has an "effects" setting, check and see if you find "Poochellavision" on the menu LOL! Good thing I don't use film huh? I think I'm getting a better ration of non blurry these days, not enough, but an improvement anyway.

I see Pam Howden, maybe Keith H in back? Who is the lav/white to the left?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Not use to indoor photos - it was raining out. Right on the first 2. That's Jean Marie on the left.

I learned all my arranging from D.B. Gumby.

Chicago, IL

How wonderful!
All are gorgeous. All those forms and colors. Yummy....

Al what is the pale lavender/white on the right?
I may go out and cut mine tomorrow..................I'm thinking!

Great bouquet, Al! I love all the pretty colors! I had a very hard time getting non-blurry pics of my bouquets too. I had to take mine inside because it was dark outside when I took the pics.

Annie, you almost had me there with the "Poochellavision". LOL I saw you started saying something about an effects setting on the camera and I was thinking, "Oh cool, I'll learn something new!" LOL

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Mone - that's Bea Paradise - probably my favorite this year.

One thing I do notice on the ones I bring in is it's hard to mix sizes, all small or all big is easier for me. Is this true?

Bath, NY(Zone 5b)

here's a couple that I remembered to take pictures of... We had the side effects of that last hurricane so my house was full of dahlia's. It was a good thing I picked because that wind and rain sure made a mess of those tall big flowered dahlia's. It just snap the stems off all over the garden. Wasn't much I could do but watch from the patio and pout.

Thumbnail by willow22552
Bath, NY(Zone 5b)

Here's a mixed one as I usually put different flowers together

Thumbnail by willow22552
Bath, NY(Zone 5b)

And another to bore you with

Thumbnail by willow22552

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.