Which nut tree?

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

I'm thinking of planting a nut tree on my property so I can harvest nuts to eat. I don't want a really large one, because I have plenty of large trees in my yard, and I don't need more shade. What will grow in Zone 5, semi-arid area? And how difficult are they to take care of and harvest?

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

That's a challenge! Hickory, pecan and walnut trees become quite large over time, 100 feet or more and a wide spread. Pecans are primarily a southern tree; I don't how they would fare in zone 5 - they are also sensitive to water stress. Almonds are smaller trees, similar to peach trees in cultural requirements. They need a pollenizer and are very sensitive to water stress. Pistachios like long, hot dry summers and moderate winters but need up to ten years to reach good production levels. I don't know much about butternuts and chestnuts except they are also very large trees. I'd suggest you ask for info from your state university's ag division or a county extension agent.

Toronto, ON(Zone 6b)

Hello white h. Have you thought of planting hazel-nuts or filberts. They are small 10-12 ft. and easy to manage. My only problem.... and it is a serious one is beating the birds to the nuts. Robb.

Glen Rock, PA

Filberts would do fine, except for their propensity to bloom in February. Temps below about 10F/-12C will ruin the crop. Still, sited properly and with their seeming ability to make a crop here no matter what, I would definitely check out Corylus avellana. They do need pruning though, otherwise you end up with a clump of small trees that hardlt bear, and you need 2 cultivars to make nuts. Although each plant has male and female, they are pollen sterile for the most part. Watch for Eastern Filbert Blight if any native Corylus americana are in the area.

Another shrub/small tree I would recommend is the native Chinkipin, Castanea pumila (it also goes by C. alleghenensis, something like that). These trees bear young and produce a thin-shelled sweet nut. Critters will beat you to them for the most part. My filberts lay on the ground but Chinkipins are stolen from the burr. They do get the Chestnut blight after some years, but they grow in clumps and can be thinned of the blighted stalks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.