PLANT ID

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Does anybody recognize this plam. It generally has large plums and lots of seeds.

Picture 1

This message was edited Oct 15, 2006 1:03 PM

Thumbnail by jeri11
SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Some kind of Butia, probably capitata (Jelly Palm)

Burbank, CA

Definitely Butia. See http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/21173/

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks yall,

I have more palms and I will post those pictures later for ID if you don't mind.

Jeri

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I was told this was a date palm. The one behind the sago.

Picture 2

This message was edited Oct 15, 2006 1:03 PM

Thumbnail by jeri11
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Are these chinese fan palms? The two larger ones. I think the small is a wasitonia.

This message was edited Sep 9, 2006 11:41 PM

Picture 3

This message was edited Oct 15, 2006 1:04 PM

Thumbnail by jeri11
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Is this a mexican cycad?

Picture 4

This message was edited Oct 15, 2006 1:04 PM

Thumbnail by jeri11
Rancho Cucamonga, CA(Zone 10a)

Jeri11
the one behind the sago in the first photo is butia capitata and in the second photo the two larger ones are washingtonia robusta and the smaller one is trachycarpus fortunei

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Don

To my friends it doesn't need to be anything other than oh thats a palm right . The nurseries I got them from weren't any better. Thanks for that information now from this posting I just have to make sure of the last picture.

Thanks so much.

Jeri

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

The cycad is Dioon spinulosum, which is from Mexico. The Butia you have there is a beauty, and should be making nice, edible fruit, soon.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

It has been making fruit and seedlings have poped up at the base of it. I dug them up last year. Gave a bunch away but the ones I kept don't seem to being doing anything. They are still green so I'm hopeful.
Jeri

gilbert, AZ(Zone 9a)

this butia looks very large for a capitata. It looks to be nearly 20' wide. It also is not as dense as the arizona grown capitata I own and have seen. I have read about a butia yatay("giant jelly palm") that gets up to 30' tall and 20' wide that is not as dense as a capitata. I wonder if that is what this palm is.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

It's possible, but B capitata is a very variable palm, and grows very differently in different climates. There are 'stricor' forms, wide-leaf forms... not to mention it hybridizes easily with Syagrus and Jubaea... and possibly Parajubaea... So I would stil say most likely a B capitata... mostly since B yatay is very rarely grown, and hasn't been too available until more recently. Only mature one I've ever seen was in Thailand. They have some just starting to make trunks at the Huntington here in Pasadena, but as for another, I haven't seen one. Doesnt mean they aren't out there, but unlikely.... any way, even the experts have trouble telling the Butias apart, unless they have flowers to compare.

gilbert, AZ(Zone 9a)

thanks for the perspective Bob. I have one butia that appears different than my other 5 in color(more grey-green than yellow-green), and in the upright nature of the leaves(they point straight up mostly). I used to think it might be a yatay, but I have seen a number of others online that look like it. I had read that the yatays were rare, and that their leaves were more upright, fronds more strongly recurved(less droopy), and that they weren't as dense and the trunks were not as thick as the capitata. I sure would like to get a yatay someday.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

you can get a seedling from Hawaii now... but SLOW (as all Butias are). After seeing the B yatays at the Huntington and not appreciating a whole lot of uniqueness, I am not seeking one out. I did get some Butia archeri seedlings this year, and those are quite different, at least in size (like miniature Butias)... but at their current rate of growth, it will be a dozen years before they even look like palms of any sort.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Would you mind terribly IDing a few more?

Picture 5

This message was edited Oct 15, 2006 1:05 PM

Thumbnail by jeri11
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

The palms to the right of the Butia.

Picture 6

Thumbnail by jeri11
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Last but not least!!

Picture 7

Thumbnail by jeri11
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

First clump of palms looks like someone dropped a huge amount of Accoelorraphe seed there. At least that's what the leaves look like they belong, too, though could be immature Chamaerops leaves, too... depends on what sort of teeth are on the petioles (incredible sharp, or just mildly annoying?).

Second leaves are too distant for me to identify as anything... may not even be a palm- could be some species of 'palm grass', or 'look-alike' plant

Third is either a clumping Phoenix, or two solitary Phoenix, but couldn't tell what species- either canariensis, rupicola or reclinata perhaps.

Cape Town, South Africa

I often found that Reclinatas at this size have already petioles which turn more yellow than normally dark green canariensis. Once you find more babies growing out next to the trunk this would give you further confirmation

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

The 1st picture I was told was a lady palm.

The 2nd picture is definately the palm grass and I live in zone 8b where it isn't suppose to survive and it is in the northern part of my garden.

Could the 3rd picture be phoenix pusilla? There are about 3 babies around it.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Definitely not a lady palm.. as for Phoenix pusilla, possible, but looks way too neat in habit (that one tends to be a real thorny, twisted mess).. but Phoenix loureii (which I can never spell correctly) would fit that look

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks for spending so much time with me. I'm sorry that I don't know more about the names. I've collected for years and until now it was good just knowing they were all palms.

The loureii does look like the last one but so does reclinatas. How can I tell the difference?

The 1st picture I posted this time looks like rhapis humilis.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

P reclinata usually has some orange/yellow coloration at the bast of the petioles... but then hybrids are so common that would explain a lack of color but still a reclinata habit. P reclinatas also sucker profusely, constantly making new little suckers, while loureiis do not.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Then it must be P. reclienata because of the pups at the base. Thanks again.

Jeri

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Here are some more palms growing in my backyard.

Thumbnail by jeri11
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Nice

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Sorry I got interrupted here are the others.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Forgot the picture

Thumbnail by jeri11
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

That's a healthy looking livistona chinensis.

Cape Town, South Africa

I just wonder why all the chinensis in and around Cape Town do look much more yellow than light green even the leaves look healthy and last for many year before they get dry. Is this one growing in a shady area?

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

High humidity is the key, I think. I noticed most of the Livistona chinensis on the east coast of the US were always nice and green, while here in California, they are only green in the shade. Yet in Florida/Louisiana, they are green in full sun.

gilbert, AZ(Zone 9a)

jeri11 that is a really nice livingstonia chinesis! Its the best I've ever seen in detail. Shade is critical to grow one in AZ. As you may expect AZ is very dry, but shade can help with some like livingstonia chinesis. I had some pretty bad leaf burn this year when we got 110+ and dry for 12 straight days. I left for vacation in mendocino and by the time I returned, the sun had burned some of the lower palms. I originally planted this one with a net over it to prevent burning before the root system developed. After recent sun damage, II planted 3 queens around it and did some extra watering. The queens seemed to have helped as filtered sun is most of the sun exposure now. In arizona I have found that planting palms in groups can sometimes yield better results if they are sun sensitive. This palm has been my biggest challenge in AZ and it resides on the east side of my house(no western sun late in the day when temps are hottest).

Thumbnail by desertpalm
gilbert, AZ(Zone 9a)

some problem here the photo wont attach to the mail. I've done this before, I dont know what the problem is.

Thumbnail by desertpalm
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Thank you desertpalm I've had it about 10 years. I got it when it was barely sticking it's little head out of the soil.

Your pictue didn't come thru.

gilbert, AZ(Zone 9a)

I'm not sure why my pic didnt come through, I havent been able to get them through lately. Mine is also a beautiful green and about 5' tall and 8' wide, but, yours is truly magnificent. I prize mine because it is a different green than all my other palms and the droopy leaf tips are unique in my yard, so "unphoenix like" if you will. They are rare in AZ, I personally dont know of anyone else who has one. I suspect that yours may be somewhat shaded from the late day sun and that it has been very well taken care of. Your recent wet winters in LA may have also helped. Obviously your weather in s cal is excellent for palm growing.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Hi everyone

I have:
Picture #1- 5 seedlings
Picture #2 - seeds
Picture #5 - seeds

LMK if anybody is interested.

Jeri

Fayetteville, PA(Zone 6b)

Jerri, you have some beautiful palms! It makes me kind of jealous, since there are few that can grow in my zone, but I definitely appreciate the ones that can. You're really blessed to live in a nice, mild climate where you can grow such nifty plants (including the tree Philodendrons that are in the one pic of the tall Washingtonias).

As for your question, what kind of seeds and seedlings?

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

No my question was does anybody want some seedlings and seeds from the palms in those pictures.

Fayetteville, PA(Zone 6b)

Hmmm.... If the palms I'm currently trying out actually make it through this winter alive, I might be tempted to ask for some B. capita seedlings, as well as some of the Washingtonia seedlings, just to try and see if they'll make it with protection....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.