How Do I Save Seeds From Hardy Hibiscus?

SC, MT(Zone 5a)

I usually let my gardens re-seed themselves so I know little to nothing about saving seeds.

This is the second year for my Hardy Hibiscus "Fire Ball" and I have many friends wanting seeds. The blooms shrivel up and fall off but sometimes the pods are still there. Do I leave these pods until they turn brown or gather them while they are still green? Then what do I do with them?

My friends have asked if they should plant them now or wait until Spring....and can they be started in the house or green house.

I don't know what to say to them....

Can you help me?

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Wait until the pod turns brown before you harvest them. Should be lots of seed in each pod.
Best time to plant the seed is in the spring. I start mine in the greenhouse, but am going to try WS some this winter and see how I come out with that way of planting.

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

I wintersowed mine late last winter. It worked fine for me. The plants are lovely now.
Lora B.

SC, MT(Zone 5a)

Thanks for your responses....I really do appreciate it.

The pods that fall off won't mature if they are green when they fall, is that correct?

I may have to find a way to keep the pods on the bush. It isn't all that windy here but they do fall off...at least most of them before they are totally dry and the seeds are dark brown. Maybe all the birds in my yard are landing on them or something.

I just love Hardy Hibiscus....I want as many as I can get....and now will be removing even more grass for another bed for them. I am always ready to remove grass with over an acre of it in my fenced yard alone.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I have two hardy hibiscus and neither of them had any pods. :-( Well, that stayed on long enough to produce seeds anyway. I have 'Fireball' and 'Plum Crazy.'

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

You can harvest the pods when they are mostly brown and the stem right below it is browning. You have to catch them before the pod actually opens and drops the seeds to the ground. Just cut off and leave it on a plate or bowl, open to the air, inside the house, for days or until totally brown and dry. Open then and each pod will have many seeds. Let sit out again to make sure seeds are totally dry.

I wintersowed some last year and it worked great. The babies got about 2 ft tall and bloomed in the first year.

Good luck.

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.