What do you do with seeds you don't think will germinate?

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi, thought this would be an interesting topic :o)

I live right next door to some rr tracks, and there is a ditch that runs between the tracks and our yard, they also have a fence that runs along our property, so I throw all my hulls and seeds that I don't think are viable over that fence, next year it is going to be surprising to see what survives :o)

Connie

Hollywood, FL(Zone 10b)

I still try to germinate them, and if nothing grows after some time has passed, I'll usually use the same soil/container to try to germinate something else. It's fun that way b/c sometimes I'll see sprouts rising from the great depths (It's a clear container- actually it's one of those clear plastic cups you use for punch)! And that way, I never know what I'm getting.
If I threw them outside, I would never see anything come up: the snails would eat them. :(

Today I discovered that they're even making it inside my greenhouse, probably at night... it'd have to be way too hot & humid during the day!

Arrington, VA

hi;cegoins; ginarose has a good idea . i have done this and sometimes get a surprise. but mostly i have a large ziplock marked mix and put everything leftover in it and plant it all in a naked spot of soil from the year before and wish them good luck growing ,i figure what ever comes up will be relly tough. and also my spring surprise.
littlepath

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

eh i give up and lob them on the garden. Only once has anything ever come up. But i keep them looked after for longer than there germination time.

Stratford, CT(Zone 6b)

I have an area around my bird feeder that is pretty barren because of all the split sunflower seeds. Every spring, I turn the soil over in that area and dump whatever old seeds I may have lying around into the dirt. Sometimes I get a surprise like this year's very healthy annual poppy plants, but usually I end up with a bunch of weeds in that area.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.