What is the best soil to use?

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

What type of soil do you use? (I have never tried WS before.)

I see that many of you like Miracle Gro potting soil.

When I've sowed seeds before, I usually used a seed starting mix. But do I really need seed starting mix? It sounds as if I don't need anything so specialized.

For WS, can I just get a bale of something like Premier Pro Mix from a garden center, which would be cheaper, rather than lots of bags of potting soil? And then maybe amend it with moisture crystals (I'm blanking on the name)?

Do any of you amend with anything else? Vermiculite? Sand?

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

I use mostly Miracle-Gro, and Pro-Mix when I can find it. You don't need seed starting mix. Actually, any decent quality potting mix should work fine. Potting soil tends to be too heavy, especially the cheapie ones. Turns to concrete.

Yes, definitely get the big bales if you can. The moisture crystals are okay to use, just be mindful that a little bit goes a very long way. I don't personally amend with anything else, but there are WSers who do. It all depends on personal preference ....

PV

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

PVick is correct. You don't need any special soil for WS seeds. Just use up what you have on hand. I used MG last year and all my seeds did just fine.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Ditto on the MG for me.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I found the Miracle-Gro moisture control mix at www.hardwarestore.com for -- 6 packages of 8 quarts each -- for $29.94 plus shipping that was under $10 -- so under $7 for 8 quarts each including tax/shipping, etc.

Then I found a better deal: 1 cu. ft. containers of the same stuff at www.acehardware for $10.49. According to Google, a cubit foot equals about 30 quarts. So that makes 8 quarts of that about $2.80 -- a much better price. And although I have to pay tax, shipping and handling is free for me because Ace will send it to a local Ace hardware store for me to pick up -- which saves me calling local stores to see who still has it in stock.

Anyone have a better deal? If not, I'll buy this. . ..

This message was edited Sep 10, 2006 9:01 AM

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

If you have a local Big Lots still clearing out garden stuff you may want to look at the Black Magic house plant mix. Normally 8 Qt. bags are 99¢ but they had it at half price. I bought every bag in the store! I think I got total of 26 bags for $13. I like the texture and I just add a little of the water crystals. The little bags are so light weight and easy to work with too, a bonus for puny me. LOL

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'll look for one -- thanks for the suggestion! Great price! They may be sold out though -- I don't want to make a crusade of this and end up spending more on gas looking for soil than I save (which is something I am prone to doing).

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

I like the MG moisture control because of our dry climate and I never water the containers during the winter. Plus it's a little lighter. I usually get the big bags at walmart when at the end of the season. I find it impossible to get bulk doil during the winter so I stock up now.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I like the Miracle Grow moisture control. I just bought 2 of the largest bags H.D. had.

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

I have used Miracle Grow and Pro Mix for seed starting and winter sowing and both have worked fine. I will add that I purchased some Target brand potting mix for starting seeds (not winter sowing). That mix was mostly bark and it was too coarse for seed starting. I would stick with a peat based mix for seeds.

- Brent

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, neighbor Brent!

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Both Miracle Grow and Pro Mix are excellent soil mixes for starting seeds. Definitely stock up at the end-of-the-season! Great prices and availability. I gotten the strangest looks from merchants when I ask for potting soil in the middle of January!

Also, if you buy soil without the moisture control, it is advisable to add a pinch of polymer crystals to help keep your wintersown soil moist in your containers, when Mother Nature doesn't provide precipitation. Dry out soil = dead seeds.

Richmond, VA

I like Miracle Gro, and also Hyponex and especially Hoffman's seed starting mix. I sometimes combine them in varying amounts if the plant is going to stay in the container for a month or two. I must admit I'm partial to Hoffman's. My tomato and pepper seedlings are very sturdy and dark green.

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Does anyone use peat moss to start seeds? I bought a bag to store caladiums and callas in and the bag says it can be used to start seeds. Just wondering. I normally use Miracle grow or the walmart brand potting soil.

Susan

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Do any of you add a control release fertlizier (like osmocote) to your winter sowing mix? I normally wouldn't fertlize a seed starting mix, but since they plants will sit in it so long I wondered if I should.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Happy - I suppose adding osmocote wouldn't hurt; I use Miracle-Gro, and it has the fertilizer pellets in the mix.

But ... it is not absolutely necessary to add fertilizer to the mix. From what I've learned, the seed leaves have enough "food" to sustain the seedlings at first. When they start getting their first sets of leaves, that's the time you might want to give them a very light feed - maybe 1/4 strength or less.

HTH,

PV

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.