Muntingia calabura and Sageretia theezan

Fulton, MO

I have these two new trees coming my way. I wondered if anyone has any experience with them, particularly in a northern climate. I see the Sageretia referenced only in Bonsai. They Muntingia appears to be easy to grow.

Thanks

SB

Springfield, MO(Zone 6a)

Mangos, Sageretia, Muntingia - you are in zone 5 - where are you putting all this tropical stuff?

Dave.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

She puts them in her house!! LOL. Where DO you put them stressbaby?

Fulton, MO

In the greenhouse, guys!

With tropicals in 5b/6a, size does matter. I only grow condo mangos. And the Sageretia should stay small enough. The Muntingia is supposed to grow very fast, but maybe I can keep it pruned. Hey, the price was right on eBay!

That's the thing about tropicals in the greenhouse...they have to be dwarf, or else they have to take pruning very well, or both. Bananas, while easy to grow, are difficult to manage in my greenhouse, because even the dwarf varieties grow through the roof. They can only be pruned by hacking the whole think back. This makes a shady spot in the GH suddenly sunny, and wrecks the look of the banana for weeks (or months in the winter).

I am still working to determine which tropical fruits work better in the ground as compared to a container, which tolerate pruning, which fruit at a young age or small size.

SB

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Ah, greenhouse. Ok. That was my second guess. lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.