Combining Flowers with Burgundy Foliaged Shrubs

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

I like the idea of creating some mixed borders containing shrubs with burgundy foliage, but I am just not sure what flowers combine well with burgundy foliage. I have been trying to keep an eye out for pleasing combinations. It seems that barberry is the most commonly planted burgundy shrub around me. I often seen them planted with evergreen shrubs and maybe with grasses. The only mixed plantings that I have seen were with yellow flowered plants, and I thought that the two combined pretty well.

So what combination have you used or seen that you have been happy with? There are plenty of yellow flowers to choose from and I am sure mixing in some white flowers would look good. Maybe red flowers? What about shades of purple? Bright pink flowers seem to clash a bit for my taste.

While we are on the topic, if you have alternatives to barberry to suggest I would love to hear them; especially ones that are hardy here on the edge of zones 7 and 6 and ones that stay or can be maintained less than 4' tall. Wiegelia 'Wine & Roses' (and some of the smaller cultivars) sounds nice. I might be a touch cold for Loropetalum. At my house the previous owner planted a few purple leaf plums and a wonderful Japanese maple.

- Brent

This thread has 20 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!