Loropetalum

Alexandria, VA

I am interested in planting a loropetalum but they are only hardy to zone 7, which I am in but I hate to take a risk and lose it over the winter. Has anyone in the area had any experience with this plant and if so do you think it is worth buying?
Thanks

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Never heard of it--where did you see one?

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

I have been wondering the same thing also. Loropetalum looks like a great plant...especially the burgundy leafed ones, but I am nervous about planting "zone 7" plants. I cannot remember if I have seen it for sale at local nurseries, or just in books and on tv.

- Brent

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

This is fringe flower? I think I might have seen it in a garden just south of Raleigh, NC. They had gardenias too. I don't think I know anyone who grows it around here, but you are south and east of me. Can you grow fatsia in Alexandria?

Alexandria, VA

I have heard of Loropetalum on other sites like this, where people talk about them but there are several new cultivars being introduced next spring so I saw promotional material too. I cannot say I have seen them in local nurseries but I have never asked either. Next time I visit a nursery I will talk with them, they would be a good source for how well they do here.

Bel Air, MD(Zone 6b)

I've seen them in the better nurseries up here. I even planted one one year, but it was way too exposed to the cold, especially cold winds, and didn't survive. If you have a sheltered, sunny spot I bet you could grow it with some winter protection.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Peg, you shouldn't have any problem with this plant in the Alexandria area. We've had one growing in our gardens for over 5 years and it's a cold, cold Z6a here! Don't remember which cultivar this one is, Kim from Niche Gardens gave it to my husband years ago and it overwintered in a greenhouse for 2 years before we ever even planted it. It didn't like us much the first year but it decided to forgive us and is very happy (on the left in the photo) planted next to another questionably hardy plant for us - Rostrinucula http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/86141/index.html - supposedly Z7b!

Debbie

Thumbnail by rcn48
Browns Summit, NC

Hi, I am in zone 7, and have had my chinese fringe flower bushes over one winter now and they look great, even flowering in the fall. They have flowered more profusely in the fall than during last spring. See photo. Actually, even if you're not sure, I only paid about $ 4 or $5 for them at Lowes so to purchase one to test woudn't be a huge investment. Good luck!

Thumbnail by lgamb
Alexandria, VA

Thank you everyone, I am greatly surprised by the responses and feel like I can try one here in Virginia.
Peg

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.