Pergola Post Trellis

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

I've been asked to explain how the posts on my pergola were made. It's very simple. In my case I used 4 x 4 posts (sizes will vary) and simply run a strip (I used (1), but (2) would have been better) - and fasten these strips the entire length of your post and directly in center, at all (4) sides of each post. This will give you a gap/space now to cut 'hundreds' of pieces of the same material so each piece has a 45degree angle "cut" on each side of the 'piece'. It will take you a few trial cuts possibly to get these pieces so the 45's match when you simply screw/fasten (I always build with screws so a person can take it apart) - each piece now directly into the center of the strips of wood used to run the length of the 4 x 4. One screw is used to hold your 45's and are always pre-drilled before you screw them into 'any' thin piece of wood. Same for the smaller 45's, (pre-drill these as well). The finished product will look exactly as shown in my photo. So all you are doing is creating a "square" with these 45's around your post - the thin strip gives you the gap and something to screw into. That's it!

Have a nice day and sorry it took me several or more days to get this posted. I have my best friend in the world moving in a few weeks or less and we've been running around like kids again. He's a recent graduate and moving away for good.

conifers

Thumbnail by conifers
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Ah! Now I see the strip :-) Very nice idea, thanks for the info conifers. Sorry your best friend is moving, that was awesome of you to take the time to post this. Go back to having fun now!

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

No problem. You'll need a miter/chop saw, of course.

conifers

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Trust me, we have all the tools :-) and then some lol

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Lynn could you build me one while your at it. :o)

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I'm not building one any time soon, but I will and now I know how to when it comes time for that. You're welcome to pop over when I do and make your own with me :-)

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I would be happy to pop over when you do. Just be aware I have no building skills at all. So
it could be interesting. :o)

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Well it'll be a good experience then won't it? It's good to be able to do stuff yourself anyways.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

you can bulid me one AZ Regards Paul

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Paul, why do I think you have the time, energy, and skills to build your own?

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

How about I build all three of you one and charge you 500 buck each + shipping? lol

Take care you fun-timers.

Dax

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.