Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Vines and Climbers: Pergola Post Trellis, 1 by conifers

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright conifers

Subject: Pergola Post Trellis

Forum: Vines and Climbers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Pergola Post Trellis
conifers wrote:
I've been asked to explain how the posts on my pergola were made. It's very simple. In my case I used 4 x 4 posts (sizes will vary) and simply run a strip (I used (1), but (2) would have been better) - and fasten these strips the entire length of your post and directly in center, at all (4) sides of each post. This will give you a gap/space now to cut 'hundreds' of pieces of the same material so each piece has a 45degree angle "cut" on each side of the 'piece'. It will take you a few trial cuts possibly to get these pieces so the 45's match when you simply screw/fasten (I always build with screws so a person can take it apart) - each piece now directly into the center of the strips of wood used to run the length of the 4 x 4. One screw is used to hold your 45's and are always pre-drilled before you screw them into 'any' thin piece of wood. Same for the smaller 45's, (pre-drill these as well). The finished product will look exactly as shown in my photo. So all you are doing is creating a "square" with these 45's around your post - the thin strip gives you the gap and something to screw into. That's it!

Have a nice day and sorry it took me several or more days to get this posted. I have my best friend in the world moving in a few weeks or less and we've been running around like kids again. He's a recent graduate and moving away for good.

conifers