Morning Glory seed saving ?

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

In the picture below (the blooms have fallen off these), is this what I am waiting to collect the seeds from (after it turns brown)?

Thumbnail by pepsidrinker
Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Hiya,
Yeah it will be in the rounder bit.

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks Mike

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Connie,

I let mine dry on the vine. I've had better luck that way. Not sure if it impacts germination or not, but at least if it's brown I know it isn't a future flower :0

~Sunny

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

Does anyone know if you can pick the seed pods before they dry and let them finish drying inside over the winter? Will a hard freeze destroy the unripe pods?
Thanks for any answers.
LoraB.

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Lora, I cut my vine down about a week ago and put all the seed pods (just like in the photo above) in a paper bag, Thats what my cousin told me to do... and they are ripening in the bag. I have it sitting here in my living room next to my computer, so I go through them everyday and open the ones that are ready and let them dry...

Connie

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

theres a big topic of discussion on these today with a real cool colored mg, on cal forum i think or swest.

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

thx

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

lots of discussion about saving seeds and how to deal with this year's early freezes over in the MG forum also...

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

Just pull the vines down before the first freeze and put them in a paper bag (NOT a plastic bag). They will continue to mature. Pull out the seeds when the pod skin is brown and papery.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.