Can you successfully WS from a unheated sun porch?

Weeping Water, NE

I live in an older home that has a sun porch on the back. It has poorly fitted windows on all 3 exterior walls so it gets plenty cold in the wintertime. I would love someone’s opinion if this would be a fit place to wintersow. My thoughts on this are it would expose the seeds to the same temps as outside but I wouldn't have to worry about the wind blowing all my efforts away. I have used this area for starting seeds in the spring w/success but this will be my first year to try the winter sowing method.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

missc: Welcome to the Wintersowing Forum. Yes, your seeds would be at the same temperature as outside, but YOU would have to provide the moisture not Mother Nature. Plus when it rains or snows, the constant freezing & thawing will not only insulate your containers, but provide them with constant moisture. Try experimenting and put a few containers in a more protected area of your yard and see what happens.

Weeping Water, NE

Thanks for the help Shirley. I do have another question though. If I use the standard containers that you buy at any nursery with the clear lids, that should be fine right? I understand from what you say that I will have to check them to make sure they do not get dried out. Or it is better to use a bigger container as suggested in some of these threads for the wintersowing projects, like the foil containers?

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Dry soil = dead seeds

The soil in the container MUST remain damp. To help alleviate the problem of dry soil, you can add a pinch of polymer crystals to your potting soil for each container.

Regardless of the size of the container, a minimum of 4" of potting soil is necessary. Don't buy brand "X", ONLY good quality potting soil.

You are able to buy containers with clear lids at a nursery? How big are the containers? What do you consider "standard"?
1 gallon size?

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, missc--

If you haven't already, you may want to check out the website Wintersown.org and the FAQs there.

http://wintersown.org/wseo1/FAQs.html

Davidoff explains the theory and philosophy behind wintersowing, shows lots of pictures and gives pretty good directions.

Along with the DG wintersowing forum, I found that site very useful.

Weeping Water, NE

Thanks to both of you for the great tips. I will try not to turn this very easy process into a difficult one. I tend to "over think" things sometimes.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.