wind damaged red twig dogwood

Crozet, VA

I am hoping that someone here will be able to help me save this bush. When I awoke yesterday morning and surveyed Ernesto's damage to my plants I saw that one of my red twig dogwoods had all of it branches snapped off. I am hoping that there is a way to save the branches and start new plants or plant. Any advice or experience with this sort of thing?

At the moment the branches are in a vase of water with a plant nutrient additive. Thanks for any and all help.

Ruby

Fulton, MO

If this is Redosier Dogwood, Cornus sericea, they should root fairly easily. Dirr states 90-100% success any time with 1000ppm IBA quickdip. This is about as good as it gets for a "woody."

Here is what I would do: make a clean cut below a node; scratch off a bit of the bark near the bottom of the cutting; trim the cutting back so you have two sets of leaves, then cut off half of each leaf; dip the end in rooting powder; stick in a 1 gal pot with moist compost, cover with a ziplock baggie (they fit a 1 gal pot perfectly); place in the shade. You could put 2-3 in each pot.

I'm sure that there are other ways. Good luck.
SB

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.