need help with a Schefflera

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

I know NOTHING, NOTHING I tell you about Schefflera. But my elderly neighbor who is convinced I could grow lilies from boogers gave me this scraggly Schefflera to rescue. It needs to be cut way down, and I would like to root out the cuttings. Anything special I should know about Schefflera?

Memphis, TN(Zone 7b)

I have really good luck air layering mine. Have you ever done that with any plants? I do mine every few years when they get too leggy.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

This one will not live long unless I chop it down a bit, but I will try air layering next time.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I'd say your best is to use standard powder dip hormone in regular peat/perlite & sand mix in an azalea pot. They like strong but indirect light and warmth with very good humidity. Maybe put the pot in a large plastic bag, tied at the top. Make sure you remove the petioles and most leaves. They seem to respond so well to humidity and moisture.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

OK! thanks.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Oh ya, open the bag every few days to change the air and remove any dead leaves - keep an eye on it.

Someone left a variegated one in the back of my previous truck as I had spray-painted my truck with leaves and I guess they thought I liked plants. I put it under the cedar tree and forgot it. To my surprise it went through winter and had rooted through the pot into the soil. I've planted it directly in the soil. Seems to like the moderate light.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.