Where is the best place to buy heater for greenhouse

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I need to buy a heater for my greenhouse and I would prefer natural gas since that is what I use to heat my house, hot water and stove. So does anyone know where the best place is to buy one? It is beginning to get cold here and I need to get one just in case we have one of those early freezes. The temperature outside is only 60° right now and could get much colder tonight. So I'm getting a little bit worried. What should I do? I don't want to lose my plants. I was going to be getting a heater but I did not know I was going to need one so soon. Please help.

Jesse

Springfield, MO(Zone 6a)

One low-cost option (what I did) is to approach some local HVAC suppliers/contractors. I have gone through two cheap (also inefficient) NG furnaces over 28 years. I don't remember what I paid but it wasn't much (less than $250). They often have older less efficient units that may be refurbished or physically damaged.) Mine is an 80,000 btu/hr unit.) I would consider a high efficiency unit for the greenhouse (it uses as much as the house) but in my ultra-high humidity growing conditions I don't expect it to last long enough to be justified.

You needn't panic. Remember that as the temperature in the greenhouse goes lower, so does the rate of heat loss. In Zone 7a you should still have plenty of time.
Just one option.
Dave.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks Dave. I hope you are right. I just got this greenhouse a few weeks ago and I don't want to lose my plants. I need to go out there and make it warmer by covering the hole in the bottom of my screen door. I think that will help. Then tomorrow I will make sure that all the openings are closed. And I'll look around for heaters then.

Jesse

Fulton, MO

You could always buy some time with some inexpensive milkhouse heaters from WM.

Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

I use a little cheap gas heater from WM. On the lowest setting puts out too much heat so you need vents. I have 2 solar powered vents. works aut. once you adjusst setting. Dixie
I think those heaters can be used for natural or bottled gas.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.