Fall swap - need some input from you all

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I'm a bit stumped on the fall swap since Jenna disappeared.

We've had one member offer her house, but it was in I think Lovettsville and would be pretty far north for some of the people who want to attend.

Someone else suggested a park shelter. I've looked into those. All the ones I found in Manassas/Warrenton areas charge at minimum $125 for a day. I couldn't find any information on the park suggested in Little Washington.

I think, and please tell me what you all think, that a location somewhere in the Warrenton/Rappahannock maybe even Manassas area would be okay. What do you all think? Would Manassas be too far? (I'm just thinking it would be easy to reach by interstate from a pretty large area but perhaps it's too far north.

Would Front Royal be too far west? Their parks and rec departments have large shelters for rent for $60.

Maurertown (a little north of Woodstock) has shelters for only $10. I haven't seen that park but there's also a very nice park in Edinburg (just south of Woodstock) and the shelters there are available for a $35 minimum donation. Either of these would be easily accessible from 81, but again are they too far west? To give you an idea of the distances, Front Royal is about 45 minutes from Manassas, a bit over an hour from Harrisonburg. Maurertown would be maybe a bit over an hour from Manassas, maybe a bit over a half hour from Harrisonburg.

I'll be glad to help organize this but I need some input from you all.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

BTW, does October sound like a good time to try to have it? We want to make sure Ruby can be there.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

October is fine by me and I am pretty flexible with any distance!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I really need more input from you all besides dates. Should I assume no one is interested?

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

hart, I had been following along to see if the fall swap might happen in August. Now that we're into September I wouldn't be able to make it anyway, but a possibility might be for everyone to meet at one of the fall plant sales in the areas you're looking at: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/631499/.

Warrenton - Sept 30th - I 'm pretty sure there's some sort of shelter behind the Ag Development building there and rest rooms would be available during the day while their plant sale is going on.

Blandy, in Boyce - Oct 7,8 - they have a wonderful shelter there overlooking the valley and if I remember correctly lots of picnic tables. Only drawback is they charge $5 parking fee for the weekend.

Debbie

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Hart, I want to come, but we have family coming for a visit this fall and they are vague about the dates. I just don't know at this point.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Oh, I wish I could come...maybe in a couple of years I can (after school is over). I would love to meet EVERY body.

Sincere Regrets, Joey

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Thanks everyone. This helps. It certainly doesn't make any sense to work on trying to put a swap together if no one is interested.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Diane,
You know I'm up for it - dont' have anything to swap this go around...but definately would like to meet some of you!

Germantown, MD

Anyone for a suburban MD/DC area swap - or did I miss the posts for that one?
- Amy in Germantown

Shenandoah Valley, VA

That was one reason why I suggested Manassas or Warrenton, which would be a closer drive for you than me or Chantell or Ruby or several others. Even Front Royal wouldn't be bad for you - you could cut down through Point of Rocks and then pick up Rt. 7 to Berryville and from there it's only about 20 or 25 minutes to Front Royal.

Centreville, VA(Zone 7a)

Hello everyone, Its been quite a while since I came here, not because i did not want to but because my crazy company decided to reorg and all of a sudden we were short of resources...ofcource if the management decides to change working schedule for people without asking them what do you expect is going to happen..tata, bye bye , it was nice working for ya..and people like me end up waking early in the morning ( Oh how i hate that) and then crawling in bed late at night....and Dave Garden is neglected and so are my plants ....thank god that nature decided to help.....

I dont have anything to swap but would love to meet all of you. Manassas, Front Royal, Warrenton would be great. Like I suggested before we could pool. Both the places are about an hr from my place.

Even if you don’t see me here count me in for any weekend, preferably Saturday.

Till next time, wishing all of you happy days and keep smiling....Tweety

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I might be able to get us a location in Front Royal. I have a friend who lives there, has a nice shady back yard.

Who would be interested if I can arrange that? Definitely a weekend. Are Saturdays the best day for everyone? Or would a Sunday be better?

Please let me know who is interested. I'm sure we can work dates around whatever works for everyone. The Festival of Leaves is Saturday Oct. 14. We could pick that one if people want to go to the festival or avoid it if everyone wants to avoid the festival traffic.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

I think I am pretty much free the rest of the fall :) Weekends are good and I don't mind carpooling!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ditto to Becky...

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'd love to do it, but it would take a miracle for me. Our weekends are jam-packed with soccer, lacrosse, riding, etc. No time to garden, let alone to go on a drive! Alas. But I'll be watching the posts closely because if I can manage it, I would love to!

Crozet, VA

You folks set the date, time and place and I am going to try my darnest to be there. From reading the posts it sort of looks like some of us won't have anything much to swap. That shouldn't be a requirement and maybe we can begin calling the get together something else.

Now, we have to begin working on the people who live in states other than Virginia to come and join us that day. I would love to meet Chris from PA. Can we talk you in to it Chris?

Anyway, I will be back to message board as soon as I can. I am looking forward to seeing what is planned. Have a good day everyone.

Ruby

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

I have not posted because it is likely that I would not be able to make it. I am not sure what the kids will have going on weekends this fall. I attended a spring swap in Chantilly that was arranged over on GardenWeb last year and it was fun (even if it rained). I enjoyed putting faces to names and it is kind of cool to have my plants growing in other's gardens and visa versa.

I have a few extra plants that I grew from seed, but since I just moved to a new place I don't have much to pass out (except borderline invasive plants...I have plenty of mint and evening primrose at my new place). If a get together happens in the Leesburg/Reston/Fairfax/Manassas area I would sure try to make it. If not this year, then maybe Spring or Fall of 2007.

- Brent

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.