Ponderosa Lemon How big can they grow

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

Thses are the 2 ponderosa lemons on the tree that I bought from Logee's last year.It is in a large pot and has bloomed twice since I got it.The blooms are very fragrant.It overwintered in my house last winter and the fragrance was wonderful.

I wonder how big they will grow before I can pick them.Is anyone else growing this tree?

Thumbnail by downscale_babe
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

From the picture, I'd say they still have some sizing up to do. I'm not growing Ponderosa currently, but have in the past, and they were a good deal larger than the Meyers fruit, which was also quite large. Citrus fruit matures over a long period of time and will slowly change color. It will "store" well on the tree, actually intensifying in flavor if left there a week or two beyond the completely yellow stage. Hard to resist harvesting, but be sure the color is fully yellow all over. A ripe fruit will yield easily from the stem.

Good job you've done there. Isn't Logee's catalog fascinating?

Yuska

Thanks for the info.I was away for the weekend,so didn't answer before this.

I love the Logee catalog but their prices are a little high for me.Neverthe less once in a while I treat myself to something very special.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Get on the Logee's email list - they have some price reductions about twice a month.

Greensboro, AL

Downscale: I had a ponderosa lemon in my back yard in San Diego. There the fruits get about football size, but there really were not edible because they contained so much pith.

I hope I can find a use for them.I can't imagine them football size!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Growing them in containers does seem to control the size to some degree. When my Grandmother grew them, she'd use one fruit to make two pies. They were about the size of an elongated baseball.

Mine are bigger than baseballs and still green.I just hope I can use them.Pie?
yum.

Conway, SC(Zone 8a)

It appears you have a grafted tree. It doesn't appear that large in the pot and it has fruit.
I wrote in last year asking about Lemons and Limes that I had planted 6 yrs earlier and never flowered. You might remember the post. Anyway, both finally bloomed this yr and I have a couple fruit on each. The trees however are a good 6 ft tall in 25 gal pots. I have a hard time rolling them in and out of the garage during the winter months. Anyway, I'm in the process of trying to graft them to trifoliate rootstock to get them down to size. Any citrus planted from seed will take 4 to 10 yrs to fruit depending on what it is. The fruiting budwood is used to graft to other rootstocks. citrus are funny in a way. They won't bloom until they have reached a certain branching point. But when you take the bud from a blooming citrus, it Remembers its branching point and continues on from there even though only a bud has been grafted to a smaller plant. It will continue to bear beginning from that branching point. Therfore. Yours must be grafted and you should be able to trim it to keep it to the desired size and it should keep producing. Hope this wasn't to long winded and hope it helped answer your question.
Strangebob

Hi strangebob
Good to hear from you again.Thanks for the info.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.