How to save seed on this one?

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

I lost the tag for this one, but is the seeds the black head on it?

(see what happens when you go away for 3 weeks and a day :o(.)
Connie

Thumbnail by pepsidrinker
North Augusta, SC(Zone 8a)

Connie,
This looks like some type of Rudbeckia. The seeds are inside the black head. Here's a good photo of them
http://www.csdl.tamu.edu/FLORA/Dissect/DI0010.JPG
If you dry the seedhead for a couple of weeks the seeds will usually 'shake' out.
Alice

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh I am so glad you pointed that out to me.
Thanks so much :o)
Connie

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

hiya connie,

You will get the hang of the seed saving. After a while you can work out which bit is the seed. I allways pull flowers to pieces to work out which bits i'm waiting for. like the blanket flowers and scabiosa once the petals have died you are left with a pin cushion type thing. If you pull tht apart tiny shutle cock type things come off the flower stalk.

Its fun learning stuff about flowers.

Mike

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

thanks mike

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

lay the flower heads out gently on white paper in a place where they will not get disturbed. when the whole flower is "crunchy", you can put it in a manila envelope and break it up gently. I use an antique maple rolling pin! Sift the seeds out from the chaff in a pie pan; you may have to break up the chaff several times.

Make sure the seeds are COMPLETELY dry before storing them.

somewhere, PA

And don't put the seeds out to dry where the cats can find them. Oh what a mess I have now.
I had about a dozen varieties spread out on my dining room table. My long haired cat Zephyr
discovered the grand fun of rolling on them. (OK - I kinda think she was cute with all those little
seeds of various types stuck in her hair. And DH vacuumed for us yesterday so there's no more
mess left. And I did manage to recover many of the seeds too).

Tam

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.