Morning Glory Seed Saving?

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello, my cousin gave me a small starter plant from her hugh morning glory plant, it was only 2 to 3 inches high when I received it in June, Well now it has grown over my privacy fence and spreading beautifully, My neighbor loves it growing on her side of the fence :o). Anyway it is blooming like crazy, but I have no idea how to collect seed from it. Can someone tell me what I am to look for. I have tried but can't find any seeds or pods or anything. If you have a picture would help greatly.
Connie

Thumbnail by pepsidrinker
La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Here's a picture of it this morning, I don't know the name of it, just that it is a morning glory. It's full with more blooms waiting to burst open.
Connie

Thumbnail by pepsidrinker
Hollywood, FL(Zone 10b)

Hi Connie,
I have the same question; I've searched every length of vine I can reach, but all I find are curving green parts which are what turn into the flower... I've picked different parts of the vine, at differing color stages and such, and let them dry, but have still come up empty. One interesting thing is bumps at certain intersections on the vine that I thought might be some eggs or larvae, but which I think are actually naturally occuring along the vine. (Maybe those are just because it's an older vine- it's been growing on top of my Grandmother's surinam cherry hedge for as long as ever. It has the same purple-blue color as tall morning glory & heart-shaped leaves, but curving horn/tusk-shaped buds(?)) Hope someone can help us, Connie! :) And if you haven't yet looked through the plant files (doing a general search for "morning glory"), I'd suggest that b/c alot of the varieties in there have pics of seed pods.
~Gina

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Hi ladies,

Gerris helped me out on this. The dry seed pods form at where the flower bloomed, and they look like the picture below (sorry it's kind of fuzzy). Let them dry until they are brown, then take them inside. You'll find 2-6 dark seeds in each pod.

Enjoy!
~Sunny

Thumbnail by Hineni
Hollywood, FL(Zone 10b)

Yours is the same color as mine; this seems to be the seedpod for it, if yours is Tall Morning Glory (Ipomoea purpurea)... mine isn't, because it's neither fuzzy nor does it flower the same:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/31407/

Hollywood, FL(Zone 10b)

Thanks Sunny :) I should really concentrate on where the flowers are/were!

::slaps forehead::
I also just remembered that all the hard rain I get here may be why I can't find them now.
The Tropical Storm won't help me, either! :)~

This message was edited Aug 28, 2006 10:36 AM

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Thank you hineni and Gina, That is a BIG help.
My cousin has so much going on right now that I can't get a hold of her. Her hubby has to have surgery on the 1st. So trying to stay out of her way, with her kids and grand kids there.
Will keep my eyes open :o)
Thanks again, Connie

edited to say, I was looking in the morning glory forum. didn't even know it was there till I checked the garden talk.

This message was edited Aug 28, 2006 10:36 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.