Denver Botanic Gardens this fall

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

Hey, I just got my "Inside the Garden" for Sept & Oct, and guess what?

"Forst Ever Fall Plant & Bulb Sale, SAT 9/30, 9am - 5pm"

Featuring Brent & Becky's Bulbs!

They will also have demonstration forums on several topics related to fall planting. Admission is free to the sale and if you buy something, you can present the receipt at the front gate for free admission to the garden all day.

This message was edited Aug 26, 2006 9:05 PM

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Sounds like fun! It might even be a good excuse to drive up from New Mexico. I haven't been to Denver in ages.

Denver, CO

Get me a bag! (hyperventilating)

Denver, CO

September 30? B&B are my all-time favourites. I love those folks. I have even e-mailed with Becky.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

Ooh! And I pass by there every day on my way to work.

Definitely will put that on my calendar.

Denver, CO

Thanks Greenjay, I'm taking that weekend off!

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

Perhaps we should all have lunch!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I would really enjoy having lunch and meeting all of you. I am free that day, but would probably drive up the day before so I can be at the sale bright and early with lots of energy. I would probably drive back the next day. That would be a great outing.

Denver, CO

I'm in for it. I'll do the same as Betty.
Who knows a good 'n greasy restaurant near DBG?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I don't even know where the Denver Botanic Garden is, but I bet I find it. Haven't eaten in Denver in about 20 or more years. So, you locals, please advise. Of course, we could meet at the DBG.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

OK, let me do some research, and I will propose some options!

Denver, CO

Thanks kindly, GreenJ.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

DBD at 10th & University. My dental appointment was on that day, but I moved it up to this Friday.

There's a sushi place nearby, at Colfax & University. And a mile south is Cherry Creek Shopping Center. Lots of places there.

I wanted to move into that neck of the woods, but the prices!

Denver, CO

GreenJ- do you suppose we could all meet for breakfast that morning and then herd to DBG? Safey in numbers, but demise in enablement... You know the place best, so you're our fealress leader.
K

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

I will not fail you, grasshopper. I plan to scout out the restaurants this weekend...

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

I can't eat anything hot. Not unless I want to be sick the rest of the day. I love sushi and seafood. Not too crazy about burgers, or red meat in general for that matter. I do NOT do fast food. I love chocolate.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I think breakfast ( or perhaps brunch) before the sale would be great. We could spend time breaking down each others' sales resistent the march like lambs to spend all our money on magnificent bulbs. I do hope they have that hardy banana tree.

Denver, CO

If not, I'll have a pup for you next spring, Betty.
Being a grasshopper, (leggy and hungry) I eat anything. Boing.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I would love a banana pup next spring if I don't get one this fall. My neighbors will faint in amazement.

And yes, I eat everything, too.

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

Oh this sounds like fun, can I come? I haven't been to the DBG yet!

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

Everyone is welcome, of course!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

art_n_garden,
I am coming for the sale and to meet other DGers but I, too, want to see the botanic gardens. I haven't seen them either.
Betty

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

I can never get through the whole garden in one day. I go every other week or so, and there is always new stuff to see.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh, greenjay, you make it sound so attractive. I can't wait!

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

I'm ashamed to say this, but I've lived in the Denver metro area for over ten years, and I've never been to the Botanic Gardens. Always on my list. Always bumped for something else. So I'm really looking forward to going. And it's especially going to be great going with other gardeners.

Denver, CO

We will be a rambunctious pack to be sure.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

We won't be any more trouble than the wedding crowds they have there sometimes. It is. as you would imagine, a rather popular location for weddings, and many of the garden "rooms" are specially set up for those sorts of gatherings. One of the funniest things I have ever seen was one afternoon in June a friend and I were walking through the semi-xeric flower avenue just to the left of the entrance, and from the other direction here comes a 20-something young lady with white gown and full crinoline, veil thrown back, sprinting down the sidewalk in FLIPFLOPS. We couldn't decide if she was running to or away from destiny, but it was a sight to remember!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Boy, we better spend some time there observing the people as well as the plants. Betty

Denver, CO

Put me in for peoplewatching, too.

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

LOL greenjay, that's a great story.

Denver, CO

I once walked into a wedding at a formal garden (espalier and stone wall castle sort of thing). Or rather, where they were prepping up, putting tuxes and boutenierres on. (spell that?)

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

This has nothing to do with flowers, but I was at a science fiction convention back when Star Wars was big at a hotel that had booked a wedding and reception the same weekend. It was an odd combo, especially when one of the fans sent his remote-controlled R2D2 into the crowd of celebrants. The guys thought it was great. The ladies just looked embarrassed by the whole thing.

And of course the sf fans were amused.

On a similar topic, Denver just won the bid to host the 2008 World Science Fiction Convention. Woohoo! I told my boss yesterday, in two years I'll want a week off.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

And the 2008 Democratic Pres. Convention. What's the chance that THOSE 2 will happen at the same time?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Now that would be a picture, the SciFi convention and the Democratic National Convention!

Denver, CO

"My platform, with a strong collaberation with the SPCA, is to end the abuse of all tribbles. -And to spearhead the equality for the Ewoks, holograms, androids, and shape-shifters. Vote Zaphod Beeblebrox!"
I wonder who will be voted the new Emperor or Romulus? Will Princess Leia be there?
Will there be any amendments to the Prime Directive?
The bumper stickers:
"Imagine Intergalactic Peace"

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

I wouldn't mind if we revived the Prime Directive.

Denver, CO

For the US? Don't answer that, lest we stray into current events.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

To drag this back onto topic, maybe that should be "Imagine Intergalactic Peas."

Okay, so it doesn't have quite the same ring.

Have they actually decided on Denver for the Dem. convention? The sf convention is going to be in the first half of August.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Okay, I will reveal my-out-of-it-ness and ask what the Prime Directive is . I promise not to launch into politics. I am just dying of curiosity about the Denver Botanic Gardens, Brent and Becky's, and the Prime Directive. I can satisfy the first two when I go to Denver on the 29th, but maybe you all can help me with the third.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

pajaritomt -- it's a secret. If you want to know what it is, you must watch 100 straight episodes of Start Trek and learn the secret handsignals.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.