The ugly cannas

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

My eyes are open for that one!drool.....

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

drooling here!! LOL

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

brian I really love the golden leaf canna. Enough of the uglies! show me a pic of a purple flower canna. I'm hoping you are still working hard at developing that one, lol!

i thought I had lost my coffee cup and was totally delighted to see it peeking out today. Also B. Williams, but I already knew that was a toughie.

Louisville, KY

You wont get me to say anything really bad about this plant but it does have Muculated like leaves with wave like corrigation in them. Very odd but the foliages weirdness is stolen away but its huge flowers that are always in bloom.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

Good to hear. Hope they do well for you.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

LOL

Louisville, KY

Back by popular demand LOL.

I have been a bit upset with this one to say the least. During the spring it looked great a slight hint of purple on a maroon like flower. But as it warmed up and summer really hit the sun bleached it all summer to a dark pink like color. As soon as it cooled off again in the fall it started producing the nice deep rich color again. The other disappointment was it is sterile so I cannot breed with it any further. Well not until I double its chromosomes which I hope will work.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

still growing this one out.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Brian,
Yes, that photo of the golden canna is the photo that I saw in this forum or there was a link to that photo in the cannas forum. I love that plant. If you ever have enough to sell, send me a Dmail. I also love the last two photos at 8:52 and 9:01 pm. Very nice.

Is that original golden canna a slow grower? Does it burn in full sun? It looks like your golden leaved seedling plant that died had a problem with full sun. Are you back-crossing the original plant onto itself or using it as the seed parent with pollen from another plant? What color flowers does the golden leaved plant have? It is a very striking plant.
Thanks,
Mike
(p.s. sorry for all of the questions, but since you have the plant, I have to ask (:o))

edited for the p.s.

This message was edited Mar 18, 2007 10:28 PM

Louisville, KY

The flowers are small and yellow it is a species just a Flava form of Indica. I have been trying to cross it with different foliage plants. Manly other light green forms as well as the very darkest cannas. Many of the results maybe found in this years crop. That is if I can get enough help to get this years crop out.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the info.
Mike

Bronx, NY(Zone 6b)

Hi Brian,
Wow, very impressive work. I really like that one with the pink leaves you posted at 5:29 on March 18th. Do you have enough of that one to sell or trade?
Happy gardening, Pat

Canberra, Australia

To bwilliams.

I definately do not want to be presumptious, but I truly feel that many of the pictured canna leaves and flowers show major signs of being affected by the Canna virus disease. The symptom are disfigured leaves, ie leaves that have pale streaks and speckles, and which become browned, distorted and twisted. The most informative website is: http://www.hartcanna.com/virus.htm.

I have been reading up on the virus thing. My own two cannas were not looking that great either and searching the web, I discovered that these sturdy things do have a weakness. I have been dividing them up to plant a nice big row of them, before I found out anything was wrong with them and now I believe (from reading the web) I will have to throw the whole lot out and start anew. I was actually going to add to them. But I guess I will have to start from scratch.

Hope I did not ruin your day, but mine is quite gloomy from making this discovery myself.

I am actually surprised no one else on this forum has mentioned this possibility to you, as some members are definately aware of the virus thing, due to other threads discussing it.

Hope to hear from you. Heike.
I

Salem, AR

do you or anyone know of a blue canna? i am looking desperately for blue (not purple) canna or simular looking plant in size/season/etc to plant with canna as a grouping. i am in AR i believe in zone 6 (central northern, next to MO border).

Louisville, KY

Are you talking of a Blue flower or blue foliage?

Heike I have not seen your reply till now. I am very aware of the virus and from what I can tell the ones posted above are virus free at least for now. The virus that is most commonly seen is a yellow or brown streaking in the leaves. Though some carry this virus with no symptoms. These though odd and some what mutated do not show the signs that I have seen on many other cannas of virus. The variegations on these seem to all be from mutations rather than virus induced. I can post photos of virus plants if people are interested in seeing what to look for as well as the difference in virus and variegation.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

I think posting the virus pics would be helpful, doesn't hurt at all for people to be educated. I know about yellow mottle and mosaic, but I have heard there is a third and possibly fourth virus. It seems some growers have been dodgey about the issue and I understand why.Not much you can do about it, but it never hurts to know.

So how'd that pink-leaved canna turn out? lol

Louisville, KY

I will look for photos of the virused plants. From what I have read most if not every cannas carries a virus. All the ones collected in the wild carry a virus or more than a few. These viruses were never really looked at as a issue because they never showed a symptom in the plants. They are only known by testing the plant and seem to not show any signs of stress to the plant. But recently a new form of Mosaic virus was shown to cause discoloration. I am not sure of the name of the virus it slips my mind but it has shown that in many forms of cannas it shows this odd streaking pattern but at other times it will not. Their have been test using different combinations of the viruses to see what effect the plants and from what I have read this one form is the only one that is showing signs of stress to the plants. The only way around it for now it seems is Tissue cultured plants can be cleaned of the virus. The bad thing is the virus spreads so fast that by the time you see the virus its probably to late in your collection. Though I am not destroying all cannas with the virus due to some being one of a kinds. I do destroy douplicated and unwanted forms with it. I know their is some research and work being done to help prevent and possibly stop the virus.

As for the pink leaf canna this was never stable and I believe it was a mutation or caused by to much fertilizer. I showed the pic because if a leaf can come out that way then their is a good chance it can be breed into the plant. The colors are their I just need to breed it out. I have been trying to breed darker leaf cannas with extremely light colored cannas in hopes of producing leaves like this.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

I do appreciate the virus info, I know there's not much you can do, but it's good to identify it quickly.

Too bad about the pink leaf, it was cool though

Rosemount, MN(Zone 4b)

Hi - I live in zone 4a and would like to grow a Struttgart canna. We have hot humid summers and the afternoon can be pretty intense. I know the leaves will scald easily so I don't want to burn it up. How many hours of sun could a Struttgart canna receive?

Louisville, KY

I have grown them in full sun here in Kentucky as well as partial shaded areas. They do well in both spots it seems even in shade the pure white sections will get a bit scorched usually on the solid white leaves or the ones more than 50% white. They look good either way just a few spots here and their.

Here is a pic of one grown in full sun KY. I have found that epson salt will help keep it from burning as much. Also the more humid and less hot area is usually better if you have no humidity and a ton of heat it will burn up a lot more.

Thumbnail by bwilliams

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.