flower reseeding question

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

I was wondering for flowers that reseed them selves, such as: columbine, hollyhocks??, jacobs ladder, Delphinium ‘Magic Fountain’, lily seeds and others, would it be okay to just plant those now???
I am not sure of the list of flowers that do reseed, only a few.
Thanks in advance.
Connie

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Do you mean wintersowing or direct planting in the garden?

Many plants have a very hard seed coat and they need the continuous freezing & thawing action to break open their outer coating so that the seed can germinate. You could try a couple of seeds now to see if you get any germination and also wintersow the rest of the seeds later in the season. Record your findings and please let us know what happens.

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi Shirley

I am talking about plants (perennials) that come back every year on there own, can I just direct sow the seeds I have collected off them now, in the places I want them to come in next year? CG

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

I would say yes. If the plant is putting out seed now and dropping the seed where it is currently planted, it certainly would make sense you could gather some of that seed and drop it elsewhere.

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

Connie...we are only miles apart..the answer is yes,just mark where you put them so you don't mistake them for weeds..

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks beaker and demstratt.

Yes Lincoln Park is rather closer than the other Michganders on here, :o)
Hi neighbor lol

Connie (CG)

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I would tend to agree with everyone else. Keep in mind that even though you are putting seed in one place, weather and critters can move somewhere else. That is the beauty of w/s'ing. The containers keep the seed in one place and then you can plant it where you want it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.