Rhododendron

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

My brother had a Rhododendron that he wanted to replace. (to my dismay) He cut it down with a chainsaw, pulled the stump out with a chain, & put the roots in a pile of debris that we share for burning. We noticed yesterday that there were leaves all over the roots that were left in tact. I would like to salvage what I can, but I have no idea where to start. It has a huge root ball. Can I try & separate the root ball? I really have no idea where to start.

Help ~Please...:-))

Joey

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

AAAHHH, how those plants do want to survive - we usually kill them with kindness. I suggest you take some root cuttings with hand pruners, stick them in a decent potting soil, moisten the mixture, and let them grow for you. Don't put the root cuttings too deep, try to get some roots with the very tiny, hairy roots attached and some of that very short new growth. Just keep the rooting medium moist, don't water it too often/much. In your area, you probably should protect it this winter, but the roots just need to be kept alive - they will do the growing. I also would suggest that you take several cuttings for different containers. Remember, it will take a very long time to get the Rhodo to flower, but it will be satisfying to see the new plants grow. That's the fun of it. Last thought, don't fertilize until next year.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

peony01 ~ Thanx sooooo much! :-)))) What do you suggest that I protect it with? I have a100 year old oak in my front yard & I use the leaves to mulch in the winter. Would the leaves be sufficient? or will I need something more?

I am soooo excited.:) I have drooled over my brother's Rhodo for years. He can't even take a hint. Now I have claim!

Joey

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

If you live up in the mountains, doesn't it get pretty cold? On cold, icy days you may wish to consider setting them inside a building of some sort. The oak leaves (shredded) or pine bark will work well. I don't think the snow would matter much, but ice, I think, could be a problem on that young, tender growth. Good luck!

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

THanx for the luck, peony. Snow acts like a blanket, but ice? And we do get some ice at least once a year. I may have to try a couple of approaches.

Joey

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.