Daylily seeds in greenhouse?

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

My dh got me a greenhouse for our anniversery.

But I was wondering if anyone has ever worked with daylily seeds in a greenhouse through winter. Also, if seedlings are left in the greenhouse through every winter... will that bring them to maturity faster, or do they require a cold period? As it takes at least 2 years otherwise. Anybody tried this... anybody know?

Thanks,
Donna

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

Great question and great area for study.

I have started dayliliy seed right after collection and grown them at the window, lacking a greenhouse, and that provided them with a *good* head start. The indoor lighting wasn't very good, but with a greenhouse, you could really move them along!

Don't know if you could (or should) keep them going thru the next winter. Some of those know as being evergreen might be the best for experimenting if you can't narrow down how much rest they actually *require* each year, if they do.

Think I'll go surfing to see what I can turn up.....

Robert.

Donna~

Look at this:
http://solarisfarms.com/ramblings3.htm

The dormant-type daylilies go dormant from lower temps and shorter day-length. If you provide long-day treatment early on, I don't know, but wouldn't that take care of one thing and the warmth of the greenhouse the other?

Seems as tho' the semi-dormants and evergreen would just go on under those conditions.

Another idea: Until the question of actual rest needs in the dormant-types (which *may* not actually require it, AFAIK) you could or might have to allow them a rest under cooler temps and then start them going again in as little time as possible.

Since you're not growing them for flowers, any loss of the next season's blooms because of the loss of the 'incubation' period for bud formation wouldn't matter. That might be the only reason *not* to rest a daylily.

Bear that in mind when looking for how much rest they *need*--what is given may be cased on the expectaion of flower production......

Robert.

Robert.

Thanks Robert.... I am going to germinate and grow some in the green house. I dunno about any additional lighting at this time. I see some folks give them 16 hours of light. I may not be able to get hubby to agree to run a cord out to the green house for lighting, much less to purchase and install the lighting. If I had my way, I'd go with the additional lighting. But, is not all up to me.

Donna

I hear you on co-operative efforts.

If you have any of the dormant type seeds, they may benifit from a fridge chilling of around 3 weeks, but the others should geminate without it.

Good luck!

Robert.

Robert,

Yeah, I've got about 2000 in the fridge right now. Yup, you heard that right. I already germinated and planted 1000. My dad sent them to me. Any how, I wrote the date on the baggie that I put them in the fridge on. I'm giving them at least, at least, 4 weeks.... maybe longer.

Thanks,
Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.